fzj fan clutch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all, i just had the dealership up here at bell and 84th(1/4 mile from my house) tell me that i need to replace my fan clutch. 96 fzj with 150k. not having any problems but it idles with a chatter. does this sound kosher? i took the truck in originally to program a new remote that kristal sold me, they told me they couldn't program it because the rear door lock actuators were overheating and wouldn't work after 3 or 4 times. i haven't had any problems with those either. they had my truck for 6 hrs on a 30 min quoted job. not a phone call. i went to repossess my truck after no one would answer the service line. time for a cold one.

Fan clutches can die of old age, but it is rare. If the blades have play/movement front to rear, then the bearings may be worn. More often it is the fluid that needs to be replaced. Original is either 4000 or 7000 cst silicon, many here in the desert replace with 10000 or more. Not hard to do, just slow and messy. Tools has done several dozen of these over the last few years.

Sounds like you may want to switch to Camelback Toyota for better service. John

Overheating door lock actuators? Causing them to be unable to program your remote?!? Did they also try selling you new blinker fluid, and possibly try to tell you to upgrade to halogen fluid? Sounds like a bunch of asshats.

a.mus.ed said:
Overheating door lock actuators? Causing them to be unable to program your remote?!? ...
it can happen. You have to be able to cycle all the locks 3 or 4 times in a row. Still doesn't excuse trying to oversell...

:meh:

it can happen. You have to be able to cycle all the locks 3 or 4 times in a row. Still doesn't excuse trying to oversell...

:meh:

See it occasionally. Yes, you must cycle the locks several times in a row as part of the programming. Mr Toyota shouldve passed on this requirement. It can be a hassle on older vehicles.

I stand corrected as well. He came in with a VIP3000 series factory alarm that doesnt program with the door locks. The wireless factory set ups - esp on older models, do use the door lock method.

Signed, asshat junior :grinpimp:

sign me up for the club too, though I used the Hokey-Pokey method on both my '00 Avalon and '00 Land Cruiser (which wouldn't work until I fixed my dying driver's side door lock actuator).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom