Full length rack GOBI Ranger vs ARB (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
In the market to buy a full roof rack this weekend. Can not decide between the 2 racks and what to go with round or rectangle lights on the top as well. I currently have a silver fj with arb bumper and round piaa's on the front.

I am wanting pratical use and looks to make a decision.
Cost for me in edmonton gobi= $1600 ARB=$1200

Anyone's opinion on either with pros and cons of what you all use would be much help sorry for bothering you all. But after all you are the best to ask. Also any pics to share for better idea.

Thanks

go for the ARB, that's what I have and it is awsome. tha ARB is flat so you can pack stuff up there easier, the GOBI is curved with the roof so stuff you put up there has a tendencie to slide
back and fall off the roof, just my two cents.

go for the ARB, that's what I have and it is awsome. tha ARB is flat so you can pack stuff up there easier, the GOBI is curved with the roof so stuff you put up there has a tendencie to slide back and fall off the roof, just my two cents.

Nice first post and I'm glad you like your ARB rack, but what a load of crap about the Gobi.

I have the Gobi Ranger and it works just fine, nothing slides or moves around. Most people tie there gear down. :idea: The Gobi is very well made and can carry a lot of gear and weight. I'm 200# and I sat on my rack while I wired my lights and no problems. The all mesh floor on the Gobi is also a nice feature. The fit and finish on the Gobi is top notch. IMO buy either one and you'll be very happy.

i like how the gobi has a low profile that is contoured to the roofline. The mesh floor and air deflector are nice too

For the prices that i can find here the ARB is the cheeper way to go. However as for the 4 lights on top round or square and pros/cons on them with either rack. Also from what i can find looks like both racks have same weight rating and mesh floors. Have any of you found anything bad about either one in any way?
Thanks all for the 2 cents.

They are both top end racks. You will be happy either way. Comes down to looks, cost, and you're particular applications. The Gobi Ranger isn't really low profile, but the Stealth is.

I am contemplating a full rack as well.I have the full length ARB on my 60, and its great.
I need a flat mesh floor, since I carry a lot of wood and stuff. I keep seeing 49" wide racks from ARB, but the only ones that specifically mention an FJ seem to be 47". A 49" will fit a sheet of plywood.
The curved Gobi wont take the plywood,and it seems to be way more than the ARB

If you ever think you'll run a RTT (roof top tent) down the road, get the ARB tourer roof rack. The back section has no side rails so you can open up the tent.

As everyone has said, they are both nice, but I prefer a flat deck.

I personally got the Gobi Stealth rack when it first came out. it is a solid and well-made rack and i had a customized opening for my sunroof with no extra charge. After the ARB full rack came out.. i kinda thought i might have gotten that because I love my ARB bull bar and would like to keep my rack and my bumper with the ARB brand. that's just a personal thing. Don't get me wrong.. the Gobi rack works awesome and looks great. But with the same function as the ARB rack, i would save myself $400 bucks and spend them on the lights. that's my two cents.

FJC OEM Roof Mounting

do all of these aftermarket racks use the OEM mounting points so as not to need additional drilling or such?

I'm pretty sure both the Gobi Ranger and the ARB use the FJC OEM roof mounting point. Both of those racks are sharp.

I'm kinda leaning towards the Gobi...

me too if i can find a reason to sell or get rid of my oem rack....only downside i see is it is not as strong as some others...even if i add a basket to it. not sure that justifies the extra money it will cost to remove it and replace with Gobi.

will have to wait and see...it is low priority at this point.

any ideas on how much i should be selling my oem rack for , would be nice to sell it rather then store it.

I'm selling my Gobi Ranger rack W/ all accessories

It includes....
Gobi Ranger Roof Rack
Gobi Rear Ladder
Gobi Shovel & Axe Mount
Gobi Hi-Lift Mount
Gobi Air dam
Custom Dirty Parts light bar
4, IPF 968 100w lights (front)
2, IPF 868 55w lights (side) I have extra 100w bulbs for them
2, IPF Backup lamps 55w.
Wiring harnesses & relays

$1,700

PM me if interested.

-Ben

Any particular reason for the yard sale?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom