Fuel Tanks (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Is the only option to increase fuel capacity on a 200 series to get an aux tank that fits either above the spare tire or where the spare tire was if you go larger? Is there anything out there to increase the replace the primary tank with a larger tank?

thanks
Chris

As of today, I'm not aware of an option that replaces the primary tank as a way to increase capacity?

Any thoughts and concerns to an aftermarket aux tank? After 2.5 yrs with a LRA 12.5 gallon tank, I can confidently say that most every bug has been worked out and it's a very polished experience.

Or use the factory sub tank from rest of world lx and tlc.
If you lay under you can see there isn’t a bunch more length the factory tank could use. Maybe five gallons.

Or use the factory sub tank from rest of world lx and tlc.
If you lay under you can see there isn’t a bunch more length the factory tank could use. Maybe five gallons.
Is the sub tank like an aux tank? I assume the only difference would be one being Toyota made? There has to be a reason why it’s not sold here? Maybe the proximity of gas stations is the reason but I wish the tank was larger for sure or came with the sub tank.

From what I've seen of aftermarket options that replace the main tank of other models, many may hang lower than the frame rail. Not ideal nor consistent with the cruiser mission where Toyota has worked pretty hard to mount things high and tight.

From what I've seen of aftermarket options that replace the main tank of other models, many may hang lower than the frame rail. Not ideal nor consistent with the cruiser mission where Toyota has worked pretty hard to mount things high and tight.
My choice would be the 12.5 under the spare, not the bigger ones that hang down.

I’ve read some of that thread. I haven’t read it all but did you order everything and build your sub tank? Very cool but very detailed as well.
Yeah I finished and it’s working just like it should. With the small resistor network paralleling the senders both tanks read kn the existing dash and are represented pretty well (not perfect) for volume proportions.
Drove 250 miles this weekend, 8 hours on forest roads and never worried about fuel. Would have been up to the limit of range on the old tank capacity, but I arrived home with 1/4 tank left. That extra 12 gallons is just right for weekend type trips.

Yeah I finished and it’s working just like it should. With the small resistor network paralleling the senders both tanks read kn the existing dash and are represented pretty well (not perfect) for volume proportions.
Drove 250 miles this weekend, 8 hours on forest roads and never worried about fuel. Would have been up to the limit of range on the old tank capacity, but I arrived home with 1/4 tank left. That extra 12 gallons is just right for weekend type trips.
Did you locate it under are spare tire?

Very cool. So overall was it cheaper doing it this way or just purchasing from LRA
about the same if you buy a fuel pump assembly. About $300 less if you fit your existing pump parts onto the new mounting plate.

Just another data point, but when I queried Slee Offroad about the 12 gallon LR tank, they preferred not to install it since it sits flush to the body, vs the larger tanks which replace the tire and are framed out, I assume with better structural support.

Obviously they are being used successfully by some, but I did find it interesting. That concern and a lot of money for only 12 gallons (vs 3 rotopax) means it's probably not the best solution, unless you really can't put a spare tire on the back.

All that said, I do wish I had that 12 gallons when towing at 10-12 mpg.

Just another data point, but when I queried Slee Offroad about the 12 gallon LR tank, they preferred not to install it since it sits flush to the body, vs the larger tanks which replace the tire and are framed out, I assume with better structural support.

Obviously they are being used successfully by some, but I did find it interesting. That concern and a lot of money for only 12 gallons (vs 3 rotopax) means it's probably not the best solution, unless you really can't put a spare tire on the back.

All that said, I do wish I had that 12 gallons when towing at 10-12 mpg.

Not sure I understand the flush to body issue?

12 gallons is more than it sounds, because as an aux tank, it never keeps any reserve. If you consider that most never draw the main tank much below 18-20 gallons, the 12.5 gallon aux represents a 60-70% increase in capacity. I just got back from a long road trip, going from LA to Sacramento on a single fill each way. That's all day range and then some.

Another reality is that weight is always a factor. Adding more accessories and fuel is not without compromises.

It’s a steep price for two Jerry’s or 3 pax for sure. However the convenience is significant. The always having it is significant. I suggest rolling with Jerry’s for a couple trips and then deciding if it is worth it or not for you.
I’ve been on the trail with 4 gallons and turned around due to range to get back out, that is much less likely to happen now, which is what I wanted.

I have installed a Longranger 180Lt (47.5 US gallons) gives me a heap of range but here in Australia we don’t have the same concentration of gas stations you guys have, remote can be very remote

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom