Fuel line tap for Diesel Heater (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have installed a diesel heater where the rear heater unit was between the seats. I currently have a separate fuel tank in the engine bay, but I want to tap into my diesel fuel system to free up engine bay space.
1666205773532.png

I wanted to know if it is possible to tap into a fuel line or would i need to make a separate hole in the diesel tank for the heater.

The diesel heater has its own fuel pump but i want to make sure i am able to run both the heater and the truck at the same time without starving the truck.

i had one installed by a local truck repair shop. he said that you can put a tee in the line but i. his experience he said he had a number of trucks with hard starts doing it that way. he recommended it’s own fuel supply direct from the tank. that’s only one persons recommendation but mine has run well that way

I would have a very hard time drilling a hole in the tank… but then again, to have its own fuel supply would be best For when running the truck and the heater.

I have installed a diesel heater where the rear heater unit was between the seats. I currently have a separate fuel tank in the engine bay, but I want to tap into my diesel fuel system to free up engine bay space.
View attachment 3144968

I wanted to know if it is possible to tap into a fuel line or would i need to make a separate hole in the diesel tank for the heater.

The diesel heater has its own fuel pump but i want to make sure i am able to run both the heater and the truck at the same time without starving the truck.
Hi, did

Hi I know this is an old post, but how did the tank tap go? Would like to do similar. Also where did you mount your second tank in engine bay? Thanks snaps

I would imagine just a separate small tank would be the best option. Could try tapping somewhere off the fuel return but it may mess with your fuel delivery. A separate tank would allow the heater to draw what ever it needed when it needed it. Can also monitor just how much it used too.
Another reason why I like the troopy configuration.
I would mount a little ss jerry or similar somewhere in the back or even under the cab , refilling kept in mind, mount to chassis and drill the feed line hole through the cab floor , brace that with a hose bracket then seal with good quality seam sealer. Hypothetically.

Not that it is cold enough to warrant such a heater here. But I have imagined a heater blanket for the block during winter here, but not really necessary.

I did something like this with a 12v to 240v inverter I set up in the back of the troop with the cable running under the cab running from the aux battery in engine bay.

l
I would imagine just a separate small tank would be the best option. Could try tapping somewhere off the fuel return but it may mess with your fuel delivery. A separate tank would allow the heater to draw what ever it needed when it needed it. Can also monitor just how much it used too.
Another reason why I like the troopy configuration.
I would mount a little ss jerry or similar somewhere in the back or even under the cab , refilling kept in mind, mount to chassis and drill the feed line hole through the cab floor , brace that with a hose bracket then seal with good quality seam sealer. Hypothetically.

Not that it is cold enough to warrant such a heater here. But I have imagined a heater blanket for the block during winter here, but not really necessary.

I did something like this with a 12v to 240v inverter I set up in the back of the troop with the cable running under the cab running from the aux battery in engine bay.
yea I like the idea of a separate tank. Drilling into main tank seems a pain- did some of these tanks come with pre-taps for stuff like this? Havent looked- not that lucky! I like your mounting ideas

l

yea I like the idea of a separate tank. Drilling into main tank seems a pain- did some of these tanks come with pre-taps for stuff like this? Havent looked- not that lucky! I like your mounting ideas
personally, I like to install things which can be removed at a later date either for servicing / upgrading or if original factory settings was desired.
I wouldn't mess with the main tank, diesel fuel systems are kind of sacred, to be kept pristine.

I'm installing a webasto thermo top C onto my rig, I will be running a line from the tank. Don't tap into your existing fuel lines.
looking into Webasto, thanks , leaving the existing lines alone, sound advice

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom