Fuel Injector questions? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a B motor is a Series Land Rover with no history on the motor.

In first and second gear with minimal throttle the engine jerks, with additional throttle it will pull fine.

Searching past threads fuel injectors have been identified as culprits. I have checked the screen on the pump and will be replacing the fuel filter.

I cracked the lines to the injectors and bled them, no change.

What are the symptoms of bad injectors?

I have put a turbo from a celica with the 13bt manifold and have not changed any settings on the pump. Should I be changing the pump settings?

Thx Jim

Usually bad injectors make black smoke. When you say "jerking" ,is surging a better description?

Normally you turn the fuel up when you turbo an engine ,but only a whisker

Yes surging could be a better description but only in gear.

In neutral at idle or revving up no surging at all.

Would turning the fuel up help low speed drivability? It seems the throttle is very sensitive at low speeds.

Jim

Yes surging could be a better description but only in gear.

In neutral at idle or revving up no surging at all.

Would turning the fuel up help low speed drivability? It seems the throttle is very sensitive at low speeds.

Jim

Check everything else before playing with the pump. It could be a throttle spring problem(I think someone else had this problem recently) or maybe the EDIC.
The pump will not run right unless it has a plentiful supply of good clean fuel and air.
It also needs good injectors to get the right spray pattern.
If these things are not right,its difficult to set the pump.

There are online manuals at the top of the forum and they have engine diagnosis sections in them;)

Tried the extra springs already.

Has anyone else had similar problems resolved by changing injectors?

Hi Jim.

If I'm travellng off-road with the accelerator depressed only very marginally, hitting a single bump can send me into a surging motion as my foot moves uncontrollably up and down (as a result of the bump). And the "accelerate/decelerate surging" just keeps going. Of course I could get satisfactory "power control at minimal power-levels" using the handthrottle. but this is underdesirable if it's a "hairy track" that I'm on. So more often than not, I just lift my foot off the accerator, wait for the vehicle to almost come to a complete standstill and then endevour to reapply my right foot gently (which is not always successful at preventing a re-occurrence).

If this is the problem you're referring to, then I'm not sure how overcome it. I think it is the "high torque at low revs" that causes this problem (but that is the very same characteristic that gives a diesel so many advantages in these situations too).

:cheers:

So far I have replaced the diaphram, primer pump, heavier spring on the throttle and put a clear hose on the injector return line.

Surging is still present.

I did notice that when left overnight the primer was not hard in the morning and took 4-5 pumps to pressure back up.

Could I have an air leak? The clear hose does not show any bubbles on the injector return line.

I have only been able to drive it around the block as I still do not have it finished and unable to register and licence yet, but I sure would like to resolve this problem while I still have access to the side of the motor (no fender).

My next idea is to rig up a clear hose from a jerry can direct to the fuel pump this would eliminate the possibility of a leak in the fuel hose to the fuel tank.

When I crack the injectors, the motor stumbles and I see tiny air bubbles around the area where the steel line enters the nut. The bubbles do not seem to clear up as they are present even after a minute or two with the line not tight.

Am I headed in the right direction?

Thx Jim

It should be the primer .. but not the primer itself, the plunger that suck the diesel from the tank ..

just an option ..

Tried the clear hose from a jerry can right to the pump, noticed that air bubbles were backing up the hose from the pump. The small clear hose I installed on the injector return line was always pressured with air not fuel. It seems that air is entering the system and being recirculated back thru the injector return line to the pump and up the clear hose to the jerry can.

I took the small clear return injector line off and fuel ran from the pump up to the end of the hose, So I pressurized this same return hose back to the injectors with about 15psi of air and soap sprayed everything and no bubbles showed anywhere.

Next I plugged the small injector return line from the pump and left the end that comes out of the injector open, just a small occasional spit of fuel would come out of the line.

Should there be a constant flow of fuel from this line?

Surging is still present thru out all of this.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thx Jim

Next I plugged the small injector return line from the pump and left the end that comes out of the injector open, just a small occasional spit of fuel would come out of the line.

I don't think so. Originally I thought that it would be like a typical fuel injection system on a gasser with a steady flow on the output of the fuel rail. I was doing the diesel purge procedure and routed that line line to a glass mason jar. There's very little flow form it.

Surging is still present thru out all of this.

Thx Jim

The amount that comes out is measured @ 2000 rpm. If its idling a dribble is all you would get

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom