FUEL INJECTED CHEVY 350 W/ SNORKEL? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1970 40 series with an (Edelbrock) fuel injection system on a 350 small block. I know installing a snorkel to this is going to be a hassle, but I live in Utah so its necessary. Does anyone know any tips or even just kind of how to do it? Any kind of help would be really appreciated.

photo(2).JPG

. . . but I live in Utah so its necessary. . . .

I curious as to why you say it is necessary? I've had water seat deep, with a 2-1/2" over stock suspension and 33" tires, without a snorkel and no problems. Are you planning on traversing deeper waters?

The solution I went with would work for you.

full

It's a Spectre 98625 Air Cleaner with a 4 inch input. It uses the standard 13 inch air filter.

@B y r o n not for water but for the dust, i don't plan on ever going through more than a few feet of water unless necessary. But when driving in moab, especially when there are vehicles in front of you, a lot of dust gets kicked up into the air and i cant be sucking all of that dirt/dust/sand into my intake

I curious as to why you say it is necessary? I've had water seat deep, with a 2-1/2" over stock suspension and 33" tires, without a snorkel and no problems. Are you planning on traversing deeper waters?

Also, if you don't have some form of a diff breather and a lot of your electrical isn't sealed up..i highly recommend not going in seat deep water. @B y r o n

I haven't bought the filter yet but I'm looking at a 5" element with a filter wrap for mine. Snorkels always seemed like a big vacuum cleaner sucking heavier air particulates better because of higher intake velocity. My plan was to use largest element that will fit under the hood to slow down the suction effect and pre-filter out the larger stuff with the mesh wrap.

Here's where I am at this point:

DSC01286.JPG

Just installed Edelbrock EFI.

Last edited:
I have a 1970 40 series with an (Edelbrock) fuel injection system on a 350 small block. I know installing a snorkel to this is going to be a hassle, but I live in Utah so its necessary. Does anyone know any tips or even just kind of how to do it? Any kind of help would be really appreciated.

If you layer up the air filter even with a filter mesh it will rob a lot of power from you, if you drive in dry places where you are worried about dust getting in the filter you should get a snorkel with a pre filter, that is exactly what they are made for. Water is actually secondary to dust.

@DOCTIM I'm not sure, when I bought my cruiser there were a lot of issues including some slack in the throttle cable, I took it out an it fixed some issues with my peddle. That all I know.

I've been running my 40 in Utah in the dust since 2000.
I've never run a snorkel and have never really felt the need to.
But they look cool.

If you layer up the air filter even with a filter mesh it will rob a lot of power from you, if you drive in dry places where you are worried about dust getting in the filter you should get a snorkel with a pre filter, that is exactly what they are made for. Water is actually secondary to dust.

That layer up is still providing more surface area for air to enter than what you're going to get with a snorkel. The snorkel will provide more restriction on intake air than running mesh and a foam ring around the air cleaner. .

Run a good air filter (K&N and their clones are not good filters for off road use IMNSHO) and you're fine. Use a foam prefilter around the air cleaner when you're actually offroading. The restricted intake isn't going to be an issue at the RPM's your going to be running. When on the highway, pull the prefilter off.

Simple, effective, cheap.
Something like this: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mor-65947

But snorkels DO look cool.

Last edited:
@Tigerstripe40 that's really cool I've never heard of having a pre filter on your actual air filter. I also never heard that a snorkel cuts off air flow worse than beefing up your air filter, I've always been told the opposite! Thanks for the input and I'm actually going to look I to it seeming I'm 19 and by no means have a lot of money or education on a lot of this stuff little things like that help a lot. I 100% agree with you on the looks and I guess that's why I've never looked further into it! Thanks again!

Well some more parts came in so I now have the 14" OD x 5" tall K&N installed.

DSC01513.JPG

It comes close but the hood still closes without interference.

DSC01512.JPG

@B y r o n looks great! I'm definitely going to have to take a look into it, seems like a cheaper and easier option than a snorkel! I'll probably copy your idea here and do a snorkel when my list starts running down!

@B y r o n looks great! I'm definitely going to have to take a look into it, seems like a cheaper and easier option than a snorkel! I'll probably copy your idea here and do a snorkel when my list starts running down!

I also bought the pre-filter sock which I'll leave in the glovebox for use on the dusty days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom