Front Wheel Bearing Preload (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This has been discussed many time before and I never could understand why in the FSM the final torque of 48 INCH POUNDS would not get close to the preload tension of 6.4 to 12.6 inch pounds of pull on the fish scale.
Then I reread the manual carefully.....the following is a quote from the manual at the end of the preload discussion..

"If not within specification, adjust it with the adjusting nut after removing the lock washer and lock nut"

By closely following the manual, it took approximately 25-30 FT LBS of torque to achieve the 6.4 to 12.6 inch lbs of tension. Just what Land Cruiser Phil and others have indicated in posts on this subject.

So the manual is actually correct, we just need to read the whole procedure to get to the desired tension numbers.

This has been discussed many time before and I never could understand why in the FSM the final torque of 48 INCH POUNDS would not get close to the preload tension of 6.4 to 12.6 inch pounds of pull on the fish scale.
Then I reread the manual carefully.....the following is a quote from the manual at the end of the preload discussion..

"If not within specification, adjust it with the adjusting nut after removing the lock washer and lock nut"

By closely following the manual, it took approximately 25-30 FT LBS of torque to achieve the 6.4 to 12.6 inch lbs of tension. Just what Land Cruiser Phil and others have indicated in posts on this subject.

So the manual is actually correct, we just need to read the whole procedure to get to the desired tension numbers.

I am done with using fish scales as torque gauges. 30 ft lbs with torque wrench, done.

I'm witcha lad! That was actually my point in the end....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom