front swaybar link options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I've only heard of aftermarket links snapping. If you wanted to beef up the factory ones, I'd cut them in half and then sleeve them with a thicker tube then re-weld. this would allow you to also adjust the overall length of the links. I recently did that with my rear links.
My thread with pics. . . Sway Bar links, surgery involved

there seem to be a lot of people who have also snapped factory ones.

im only looking at these adjustable onrs as ill be running 3 inchs of lift and 100mm 4 inch droop (factory droop), so was only looking to return the swaybay to its natural position.

ive heard the early allpro ones had problems but even with new ones im not keen on the hiem joints being exposed.

how does it handle, the shocks and struts i have are fairly stiff and will be running hd coils in the front so i may look into removing mine

It takes a little getting used to - you're not going to be running any rally races without it. But I'm used to it and it saves a lot of headache when working on the rig for front end maintenance. It's just one less thing in the way. I've done a few emergency avoidance maneuvers on roadways and I never felt unsafe.

is it at the point where it definetly feels like something is wrong orr is more like just riding on softer suspension. my mates 3 inch lifted patrol is so bad it tops the shocks out around corners from time to time.

the fj is boat like in standard form and im hoping the firmer shocks and springs will help this enough to negate the swaybars job.

the front struts are actually valved for a our 3.0 diesel hilux over here and to carry quite a bit of weight

Softer ride on turns. Running over train tracks or speed humps at a non-perpendicular direction (where one tire is on the hump before the other) is smoother in the cab since the body/frame is not so directly at the mercy of the suspension. I think having decent coilovers instead of the squishy stock coilovers helps tremendously with handling (absorbing some of the duty of the sway bar).

I wouldn't run stock suspension without the sway bar - that would be suicide.:eek:

think once ive got thr shocks and springs in ill give it a test run with out the sway bar

doing away with the front sway bar is pretty common for those who have adjustable coil-overs such as Icon, Fox or Sway-a-way. the coil overs are a bit stiffer than OEM to start with and can deal with the roll on their own. I did away with the front sway bar when I had a 3" suspension lift and 33" tires, didn't notice it. You have to corner a little slower regardless because of the lift and tires. When I moved to the TC long travel you can't run the swaybar... and there is no need with stability gain from the 2" wider stance on each side.

I always recommend giving it a try without a front sway bar and then decide if you need to spend your money. Good luck.

my coil overs arent adjustable but our aus spec bilsteins are a lot firmer valved then your 5100s and 6112 over there

I find there is a bit more role even with stiff struts and coils, just slow down around corners.

While we are on this topic, has anyone installed the allpro antirock swaybar in the rear?

I don't recommend the free floating front sway bar links. the ones I had destroyed my ABS cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom