front swaybar link options

Discussion in 'FJ Cruiser' started by stellz996, Jul 17, 2018.

1. stellz996

stellz996

so i jave seen a few stories of people snapping their front sway link and slicing through cv boots, was wondwring if anyone has any options appart from removing the sway bar cometely, to prevent this.

was considering tjese as part of my lift as the struts im installing have an open length of 575mm
    SuperPro Sway Bar Link Kit for TOYOTA FJ CRUISER GJS15 - 08/2009-on

2. BMThiker

BMThiker I aim to misbehave Moderator SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    I've only heard of aftermarket links snapping. If you wanted to beef up the factory ones, I'd cut them in half and then sleeve them with a thicker tube then re-weld. this would allow you to also adjust the overall length of the links. I recently did that with my rear links.
    My thread with pics. . . Sway Bar links, surgery involved

3. stellz996

stellz996

there seem to be a lot of people who have also snapped factory ones.

im only looking at these adjustable onrs as ill be running 3 inchs of lift and 100mm 4 inch droop (factory droop), so was only looking to return the swaybay to its natural position.

ive heard the early allpro ones had problems but even with new ones im not keen on the hiem joints being exposed.

4. BMThiker

Media:
    Albums:
    To clear the air, I haven't run my front sway bar since about 2008.

5. stellz996

stellz996

how does it handle, the shocks and struts i have are fairly stiff and will be running hd coils in the front so i may look into removing mine

6. BMThiker

Media:
    Albums:
    It takes a little getting used to - you're not going to be running any rally races without it. But I'm used to it and it saves a lot of headache when working on the rig for front end maintenance. It's just one less thing in the way. I've done a few emergency avoidance maneuvers on roadways and I never felt unsafe.

7. stellz996

stellz996

is it at the point where it definetly feels like something is wrong orr is more like just riding on softer suspension. my mates 3 inch lifted patrol is so bad it tops the shocks out around corners from time to time.

the fj is boat like in standard form and im hoping the firmer shocks and springs will help this enough to negate the swaybars job.

the front struts are actually valved for a our 3.0 diesel hilux over here and to carry quite a bit of weight

8. BMThiker

Media:
    Albums:
    Softer ride on turns. Running over train tracks or speed humps at a non-perpendicular direction (where one tire is on the hump before the other) is smoother in the cab since the body/frame is not so directly at the mercy of the suspension. I think having decent coilovers instead of the squishy stock coilovers helps tremendously with handling (absorbing some of the duty of the sway bar).

I wouldn't run stock suspension without the sway bar - that would be suicide.:eek:

9. stellz996

stellz996

think once ive got thr shocks and springs in ill give it a test run with out the sway bar

10. lgrt

lgrt

Media:
    doing away with the front sway bar is pretty common for those who have adjustable coil-overs such as Icon, Fox or Sway-a-way. the coil overs are a bit stiffer than OEM to start with and can deal with the roll on their own. I did away with the front sway bar when I had a 3" suspension lift and 33" tires, didn't notice it. You have to corner a little slower regardless because of the lift and tires. When I moved to the TC long travel you can't run the swaybar... and there is no need with stability gain from the 2" wider stance on each side.

I always recommend giving it a try without a front sway bar and then decide if you need to spend your money. Good luck.

11. stellz996

stellz996

my coil overs arent adjustable but our aus spec bilsteins are a lot firmer valved then your 5100s and 6112 over there

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.