Front KDSS Cylinder Leaking on 2012 GX - How Serious is it? (10 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Opinions requested! Thank you, in advance!

I picked up a 2012 GX Premium with 108k miles a few months ago.

0456F8A3-2D81-49EE-8F8B-2DFE68526DAC.jpeg

I bought this particular example because of it’s impeccable maintenance history (all common problems had been addressed, such as the secondary air pump and valves, timing cover leak, valve cover gasket leaks, leaky water pump and other less common stuff), and good cosmetic condition + no accidents.

I was replacing the front rotors/pads with EBC goodies as part of my baselining and noticed the front KDSS cylinder leaking.

752904A7-3786-4968-B80B-B7810367E564.jpeg
EAD68C79-ACE6-46F0-9513-E97851D31625.jpeg

The car is under a 3 month/3k mile warranty, and I’m taking it to the dealer of purchase to look at the leak. My questions are:

• How serious is the leak? My understanding is this is a sealed system like AHC, so leaky no goody.
  • Any pointers to help the shop understand the importance of the system operating optimally that the current leak may jeopardize?
Some more pics because I’m a pic junky...

Bald tire powwa!
ACC52F33-80EF-4FF9-8464-B02FF73B24D9.jpeg
AFF97C24-18E2-4FA7-9F19-591CE58405B9.jpeg

If the system is not fixed you will hear clunks going over little bumps. I accidentally cut my KDSS hose a couple of months ago. I had to replace the hose then get the system refilled. I have a front piston and a few quarts of liquid I can let go for cheap if you end up having to get it replaced.

If the system is not fixed you will hear clunks going over little bumps. I accidentally cut my KDSS hose a couple of months ago. I had to replace the hose then get the system refilled. I have a front piston and a few quarts of liquid I can let go for cheap if you end up having to get it replaced.
Thanks, Turbohardtop! Hopefully, it won’t come to that, but I’ll definitely keep it in mind!

I have to imagine that, the more it leaks, the less the KDSS components are able to work effectively as a system — for example, the system will become less effective at keeping the car flat in turns, changing lanes on the highway and, most importantly, keeping the car stable in the case of an emergency maneuver.

I imagine the same performance degradation would occur off-road; however, for the purposes of a repair occurring under a questionable warranty, I’ll be citing more common safety concerns, assuming the above is true (?).

Just closing the loop. Fortunately, the aftermarket warranty company paid for the repair which was completed at my local Lexus dealership. Lexus quoted me $3,000 if I were to pay out of pocket.

D63D3424-0632-43AA-9459-2ED93C6950E0.jpeg

Unfortunately, I now have about a 1.5” KDSS lean... It’s back at the dealership for the secondary air pump recall and I’ve asked them to address the lean. Not surprisingly, the SA sent me off with a befuddled look. I’m looking forward to what they come up with.

AF0B463C-DC1A-4CAE-96A6-F259DE10EBA2.jpeg

that's interesting that you have leaning issue now. When they recharged my KDSS system, i no longer have the leaning issue. I had it before.

that's interesting that you have leaning issue now. When they recharged my KDSS system, i no longer have the leaning issue. I had it before.
They got it back to within just under a half-inch difference from left to right, which is within factory specs. We’ll see how it does on the auto cross course this weekend.

It’s also getting new 275/65r18 Continental Terrain Contact ATs this weekend.

Last edited:
Do you still have these parts? I have a 4Runner that's clunking and have narrowed it down to the front KDSS cylinder.
Thanks

They got it back to within just under a half-inch difference from left to right, which is within factory specs. We’ll see how it does on the auto cross course this weekend.

It’s also getting new 275/65r18 Continental Terrain Contact ATs this weekend.

Auto Cross?! Oh I have to see videos of that.

thanks, I'm in WA state. Also I've found some older threads that say the clunking in the piston is caused by low fluid. Having the system recharged next week. Fingers crossed.

Auto Cross?! Oh I have to see videos of that.
The governor kicked in at 140 as advertised by Mr. T, so my fun was cut short, but the nitrous really, really... okay, kidding, just like the autocross comment from over a year ago. Sorry, I often forget that my attempts at humor fall flat in writing.

While I’m here, I thought I’d provide a quick update: The suspension/repair has been performing very well, and I wound up going with the Toyo Open Country over the Conti. Love the truck!

5441602F-CAF8-422B-AFAE-41BA77CBF2FA.jpeg

The more "seat" time you put in our rig, the more you'll love it!
That's how my wife and I are with ours.

I recently bought a 2012 with 95k miles. It had a good Carfax, but when I registered on drivers.lexus the service history showed this as the most recent entry:

93180 MILES​

06/2020

Service: NON WARRANTABLE OPERATION CODE
Description: NON WARRANTABLE OPERATION CODE ~|~CUSTOMER STATES THE KDSS LIGHT IS ON AFTER A FEW MINUETS OF DRIVING, PLEASE CHECK AND ADVISE. ~|~TECH TEST DROVE VEHICLE AND FOUND THE KDSS LIGHT TO COME ON AFTER DRIVING. TECH SCANNED VEHICLE AND FOUND CODE FOR LOW PRESSURE IN SYSTEM. TECH INSPECTED THE KDSS SYSTEM AND FOUND ALL 4 LINES ARE LEAKING AND THE PUMP NEEDS REPLACED AS WELL. ~|~TECH REPLACED ALL 4 KDSS LINES, REPLACED THE KDSS PUMP AND BLED AND REPLACED FLUID. TECH TEST DROVE VEHICLE AND FOUND LIGHTS TO REMAIN OFF AND NO CODES IN SYSTEM. -LEXUS TO COVER COST OF THE PUMP AS 1 TIME GOODWILL. COMPLETED

The good news is I have a brand new kdss system in my truck, the bad news is that this may be a common enough issue to be on the lookout for when owning or buying a used kdss-equiped vehicle with around 100k miles.

Reactions: r2m
First time I've seen the entire KDSS system fail and posted here!
Acrad, what are your thoughts? Seen it before?

I’ve seen very few KDSS failures on 460s over the years and they all have it. A few leaky cylinders and corrosion around electrical of KDSS accumulator.

I recommend pulling the small cover off and cleaning area from time to time. It readily collects debris.

Never a full catastrophic replacement like on Teagan’s

Reactions: r2m
I’ve seen very few KDSS failures on 460s over the years and they all have it. A few leaky cylinders and corrosion around electrical of KDSS accumulator.

I recommend pulling the small cover off and cleaning area from time to time. It readily collects debris.

Never a full catastrophic replacement like on Teagan’s
I noticed I don't have a cover over the control valve, I guess they forgot to put it back on after the repairs.

I just found a replacement part for around $50 + $15 for shipping. The site called it: Protector - Lexus (48826-60040), I think that's the part number.

Screenshot_20210317-180103.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom