Front disc brake swap...who can I pay to do it? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I would give poor wally a call. PM me if you need a number.

Kina may do this sort of work as well.

Mine was not half of what you are talking. My parts list clocked in around $5-600 including the spare axle, but without a new master, which was $90. The other good news is that you get the bigger knuckles and birfs if you go with mini truck or fj60 stuff.

For that money, I would pick up Posers disk brakets and do rears as well. I was into my rear for $200 in materials with no prop valve yet. Buy new seals and diff gaskets if you go this route.

I have no idea what you are talking about with welding arms, that is for a spring over. I think you are talking about a new rod, with the fj40 rod end threads on it. I bought a 1/2" thick one from Budbuilt for $70 or so.

(edit) the above arms are not a needed part if you buy a whole fj60 axle, they come with them!

Last edited:

I have to agree go with Wally ro Kina. I am quite happy with Wally's work.

I bought a 1/2" thick one from Budbuilt for $70 or so.

I didn't even think of this but a great option. Dan was the taper correct on teh relay rod?

Shops tend to go by a flat rate book. I think by buddy at Toyota said that it pays like 8 hrs and you sure don't want to pay their $102/hr rate. Could you find someone to do it cheaper than BayState maybe but you have to remember you get what you pay for.

A lot of shops don't like you to bring your own parts becaue they inflate prices which adds to their profit. You are taking that away by bringing your own parts and many times they will not warranty your parts.

He asked me if I was planning on supplying the parts. He also stated that he had never done a 40 disc swap before.

Kina may do this sort of work as well.

I have no idea what you are talking about with welding arms, that is for a spring over. I think you are talking about a new rod, with the fj40 rod end threads on it. I bought a 1/2" thick one from Budbuilt for $70 or so.

(edit) the above arms are not a needed part if you buy a whole fj60 axle, they come with them!

Should I just buy a whole minitruck as a parts truck?
There is an 86 for $600 on craigslist. I could grab the power steering parts out of it also.

nope. Wrong year. IFS, wrong steering, wrong axle.

79-85 minitruck, any fj60 or 62.

Call around for a front axle for a 60. Wally might have a disc swap kit around- I know kina has a pile of 60's.

for $600, you might be able to buy a whole 60 for parts. You already have the 2F, so there would be a bunch of goodies on a 60 for you.

Sell off what you do not need (soa guys will give you $75 for a front shaft alone), and keep what you want.

Offset the cost a bit.

for $600, you might be able to buy a whole 60 for parts. You already have the 2F, so there would be a bunch of goodies on a 60 for you.

Sell off what you do not need (soa guys will give you $75 for a front shaft alone), and keep what you want.

Offset the cost a bit.

You won't believe it but, I called 128 Auto parts in Waltham. They just crushed an 88 FJ60. :crybaby:

I just talked to cruiserparts.net. They sell a complete kit minus the brake pads, but with new rotors for $500. Has anyone bought this kit?

Make sure you find out what it includes. I saw a picture fo the "seal kit" that was included and it didn't include knuckle bearings. Also you will still need to get new/rebuilt brake parts. You don't get a ton with this kit. Buy a $100 axle and get he rebuild kit.

Not knocking his stuff, but that is a little steep for axle outers and a $20 wiper kit.

It does save you the headache of getting a parts truck/ axle, stripping it, selling off parts, dealing with hard to move hulk in the yard pissing off neighbors....

I would say no more than $250 for a complete axle.

I have all the parts you need and can swap out if you need help.
Complete 40 disc axle or put 60stuff on, either way.
would use new seals and brake partsyou will still be looking at 7-800
603-986-0071

PM sent.

I just saw this in the classifieds...

Disc brake conversion...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From an FJ60 (large bolt pattern knuckles), complete with Aisin hubs, calipers, rotors, spindles, hub housings, knuckles and arms.

$400 (OBO) + the ride from Wichita, KS

I'll be pulling the parts this weekend and will have a shipping weight then and clean the parts early next week.

PM me or email me at 66fj40(at)cox(dot)net

Thanks,
Mike

What else, besides the skills and a knuckle rebuild kit, would I need to do it?

You are going to run into the same problem. You need to buy new rotors, rebuilt calipers, lines, seal kit plus pay for shipping on these heavy parts.

If you really want to pay $400 I will sell you the parts I have, same as above. Pick up the $100 axle that is posted on NEOW and make $300 plus what ever else I will make from selling the housing and diff. You will get the same deal and save like $100 not having to ship.

You are going to run into the same problem. You need to buy new rotors, rebuilt calipers, lines, seal kit plus pay for shipping on these heavy parts.

If you really want to pay $400 I will sell you the parts I have, same as above. Pick up the $100 axle that is posted on NEOW and make $300 plus what ever else I will make from selling the housing and diff. You will get the same deal and save like $100 not having to ship.

The axle on NEOW is sold.:frown:

Sorry I didn't read it all the way throught just scanned it. The offer still stands if you are interested in the parts quickly. These things show up all the time it just depends on your time frame.

Also check this forum Classifieds (North East Toyota Crawlers) as they show up here too. They are local too

Sorry I didn't read it all the way throught just scanned it. The offer still stands if you are interested in the parts quickly. These things show up all the time it just depends on your time frame.

Also check this forum Classifieds (North East Toyota Crawlers) as they show up here too. They are local too

I am considering just giving it to Kina to do. I really don't want to do it, or I should say, I lack the skills to do it correctly and in a timely manner. I picture getting into it, with parts all over the garage and then getting stuck on something.

Thanks for checking and for your offer for parts.

Sounds like good plan. Kina is a good guy.

I second the motion to send it to Kina. He's done a bunch of stuff for me and I've been real happy
with the work.

Lane

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom