Front diff question?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1995 80 series. Posting it here just so there are not to many confusing answers from around the world.. It's been asked before I'm sure.. I lifted one of the front tire off the ground and tried turning it, it does not want to turn.. Now is it my diff or the Viscous coupler??

Any LC guru around here that can help me, if so how much ball park to fix this

Just lifted one of the rear tires and threw it in neutral and got the same results.. Does this point to the viscous coupler

Yeah the tcase is in neutral so is the trans and yes only lifted 1 tire

In order for 1 tire to turn manually when lifted, there needs to be a disconnect somewhere in the driveline. Your diff locks need to be off, the CDL needs to be off, the transfer case needs to be in neutral. Depending on the static friction of all the moving parts, including the viscous coupler, you may not be able to easily turn that wheel.
You may have an easier time turning the associated drive shaft for that axle as it is a 8:1 ratio.

Hey Jon, thanks for the help, yes all is off CDL and diff locks.. everything in neutral still cant rotate the one wheel..

Well, then it's possible the VC is seized. However that usually only happens after abuse, like driving with only one driveshaft without the CDL. That can overheat the VC as it's not designed for that.

How does the truck drive? Can you make tight turns in a parking lot without the tires scrubbing?

When I take tight turns, I have to give it gas or it won't move.. Tested the diffs in the snow today and you can def tell when the diff are locked.. It seems that the problem still points to the VC

Jon, do you know of any 80 experience mechanic to look at the VC to confirm if it bad or not

There are 2 possibilities here.

#1. Your viscous coupler is siezed.
#2. Your CDL is locked.

Both will exhibit exactly the same symptoms, but the CDL should throw a light on the dash IF IT'S WORKING CORRECTLY. It may not be.

If you remove both driveshafts from the transfer case, with the CDL unlocked, you should be able to rotate each output flange independently.

If the VC hasn't been abused then I would look towards the CDL motor and gear assembly.

Was there an incident in the past that could have damaged the VC? Did you drive with 1 driveshaft without the CDL on?

No this rig was babied by me.. The previous owner never took it off road.. When I hit the cdl button the abs light comes on, that's how far I got.. But will try to do the rest of it this weekend

Kar,

Please give me the year of the truck and I will reach out to those I trust for more information. Is this an LX450 or FZJ80? There are slight differences.

When you hit the CDL, more than just the ABS light is supposed to illuminate.

the cdl light also comes on, yes its a 95.5 fzj80

thanks a lot sir

Kar,
My first course of action would be to inspect the CDL. This is FAR less invasive than the VC. The whole case needs to come apart for the VC. There is a procedure for this on MUD, and it is something you may want to consider. The VC can be removed and left out of the case altogether. Several have done this with success. It's up to you how you want to proceed.

The CDL actuator has a set of contacts inside the housing that throw the CDL light on and off. If everything is working as it should, this will serve as a tally lamp to let you know when the CDL is properly locked and unlocked.

However, this assembly is spring loaded IIRC. So the motor and drive gear may return to the unlocked position, but the CDL slide collar might not.

It is a fairly non invasive procedure to manually check the CDL for functionality by removing the actuator from the top of the transfer case and turning the pilot gear with your hand.

You will need a floor jack to lower the rear cross member that supports the rear of the drive train. It can be lowered 4-6" easily without stressing the hoses and cables in the engine bay. This should give you enough room to remove the unit. No gear oil will spill as the unit sits on the top of the transfer case.

With the unit removed, you can check for its proper operation, both electrically and mechanically.

Be sure to re-seal the unit to the case with Toyota orange FIPG.

Thanks Jon, hopefully I'll get this done today, thanks again

Yes it has lockers

Thanks Jon, hopefully I'll get this done today, thanks again

Yes it has lockers

Are they factory lockers or mechanical?

If your locker is engaged you won't be able to spin the tire if the one is on the ground.
If you have mechanical lockers pick both front tires up off of the ground and see if you can overpower the locker by having a buddy hold the other while you turn the one.

yeah, ive checked the lockers(factory) and they work fine, I can definitely tell when they are engaged

Try removing the rear driveshaft and see it it still has a problem in the rear. That will take the transfer case and Trans out of the loop. If it still has a problem with the drive shaft out you will know its in the rear itself

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom