Front Diff fluid dump! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I replaced both CV axles two weekends ago, no problems all went smoothly...until...yesterday when I pulled out of the garage to find a large oil slick on the floor!! :nailbiting: Up to this point not a single drop of fluid was seen anywhere so this sudden deluge was a huge surprise. Initially I was ready to source seals and prepping to spend the day getting greasy and cussing more than normal...then I actually got under there and took a look. To my relief the passenger side axle had somehow popped out of the differential and was dumping oil everywhere. A few sharp blows from a sledge and pickle fork against the axle flange snapped it right back into the case! Filled her back up with gear oil and all is well! Not sure if I didn't seat that side good enough or if some nasty pothole pulled it out of the differential but my guess is user error...as usual! Just a heads up, hopefully my error can help someone out there! 🍻

I've heard that the CV can pop back out or be difficult to seat in there. I think someone mentioned that with a lot of lift, theirs would also pop out. That retaining clip in there might need replacing if it happens again.

Glad you noticed the leak

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom