front derailleur mounting question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

it is a nice bike though but feels very front heavy. I am going to try a longer stem or a lighter fork.
image-2216454582.jpg

nope. the H and L screws are reversed on this one, and i have tried backing out both screws.

Interesting. I've worked on a ton of 571s and as best I recall, the inner screw on all of them adjusted the top stop limit and the outer screw adjusted the bottom stop -- just like Shimano circled the screws in Sections 1 and 3 of the set-up clicky.

I still want the BJ.

Edit: Should have said a ton of Deore LX. But not all off that was D-LX 571, so I could be off. Still, that's the 571 literature I linked, at least according the Shimano Tech Docs. However, the doc itself does not list 571. Hmmmm.

Last edited:
in the setup click link above.... look under sis adjustment there is a photo showing the removal of a "pro set alignment block" maybe that is the block stopping it from moving all the way... It doesn't say to put it back in.

Check the blue box at the bottom of the first column of this tech link.

It says that the 571 limit screws are as I described, but the 570's are reversed. Yours must be an oddball.

Check the blue box at the bottom of the first column of this tech link.

It says that the 571 limit screws are as I described, but the 570's are reversed. Yours must be an oddball.

that is the install guide i got with the derailleur. you are right that that comment only applies to the 570s so maybe i have it wrong. except the outer adjustment screw definitely increased the outer swing of the derailleur when it was loosened.

in the setup click link above.... look under sis adjustment there is a photo showing the removal of a "pro set alignment block" maybe that is the block stopping it from moving all the way... It doesn't say to put it back in.

i have looked and i do not seem to have that thing. i am going to look closely tonight though since i have less than half the swing range your derailleur does.

ok, fixed it. thanks gentlemen. it was a combination of rookie mistakes.

-there is another range of outer swing if you really force it. i was only moving it to the mid range and then mistaking the additional resistance for the end of the range.

-it was the inside adjuster screw (they are not labelled and i was reading the diagram backwards).

-previously i misthreaded the cable into the shifter and had to take the shifter apart to get it out. i thought i had reassembled correctly but once i had everything else working i realized there was not enough spring tension so i took it apart several more times until i figured it out.

so i screwed it all up :doh: but now it works perfectly.

this was an $8 derailleur from cambria bikes by the way. i bought two. they are an old school blue grey colour and both have one small scratch so i think they are factory seconds.

yes, i would recommend it as it shifts super crisply now. it is for a 34.9 seat tube though so you'd probably need a spacer judging from your photo.

Mine works fine... I don't replace bike parts until they break. The one in the picture above has outlived six frames. The bike it's on is a total mishmosh Frankenstein of old parts.

yes, i would recommend it as it shifts super crisply now. it is for a 34.9 seat tube though so you'd probably need a spacer judging from your photo.

$8! Sweet deal. I'm going to troll Cambria for parts for a bike I'm building for my bro'.

Until about a year ago, I sucked at adjusting the shifting on MTB front derailleurs. Then I learned you must make the SIS adjustments on the middle ring. D'oh!

rebuilt and re-powdercoated the marzocchi fork off my old bike and it is way lighter than the tora i had installed at first. the bike is much better balanced and more fun to ride now.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Nice work! Rebuilding a fork goes beyond my skill/free time level. You saved yourself at least USD $300. That's what it cost me to have Fox replace rather than rebuild my fork two winters ago.

Nice work! Rebuilding a fork goes beyond my skill/free time level. You saved yourself at least USD $300. That's what it cost me to have Fox replace rather than rebuild my fork two winters ago.

i didn't touch the cartridges other than to clean the oil out. so maybe rebuilt is overselling it. i just took it all apart, cleaned it all and replaced the seals, wipers and the oil.

i can't find any parts to rebuild cartridges online so i assume you have to deal with the maker on that.

i didn't touch the cartridges other than to clean the oil out. so maybe rebuilt is overselling it. i just took it all apart, cleaned it all and replaced the seals, wipers and the oil.

i can't find any parts to rebuild cartridges online so i assume you have to deal with the maker on that.

Dude, once you pulled off the slider, you were in deep. I have never gone as far as you, and I do a substantial amount of maintenence on my bike.

After every ride I clean and prep/tune the bike for the next ride. Remember, a clean bike wins races...

lol. if you can do a birf job, you can do a fork job :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom