front derailleur mounting question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

semlin

curmudgeon
Threads
so i bought the wife a bike frame and built it up from parts salavaged from a bike with a broken frame and some online parts. everything works except the front derailleur. i cannot get the derailleur to swing out to the outerchain ring. it seems like there is not enough adjustment so at maximum pull it is only almost engaging the chain.

not sure how to fix it. can i just move a bottom bracket spacer to the non-drive side?

here are the details

-seat tube is 31.8
-derailleuer is shimano lx fd m571 top mount 34.9 with a shimano 31.8 spacer
-bottom bracket/chain ring is a race face ride x-type integrated spindle external bb 3 ring off a kona kula.
-bike is 68mm. i have 2 spacers on the drive side of the bb and 1 on the left as per instructions.
-chain line appears to be between 50 and 52mm

some pics
image-3566068445.jpg
image-542169879.jpg
image-118967491.jpg

stupid iphone, those are awful pics :doh:
image-191730768.jpg
image-2495117514.jpg

did you try adjusting the "swing range" screws before you attached the cable... just wondering if the derailer has enough range to reach the big chain ring while under no tension. I always have the opposite problem, the derailer drops the chain past the big ring.

did you try adjusting the screws before you attached the cable... just wondering if the derailer has enough range to reach the big chain ring with no tension.

i have the adjustment screw backed all the way out and the derailleur still does not reach far enough for the big chain even if i manually pull the arm out.

is the cable attached? try it with no cable.

Is your shifter in the correct position, maybe you have it advanced one position.

is the cable attached? try it with no cable.

Is your shifter in the correct position, maybe you have it advanced one position.

it does not reach with no cable attached. with the cable attached the lower two rings shift beautifully, but it won't reach the upper ring.

I just checked the lx derailer on my office bike.. i can get it to go out to 2 3/32 of an inch (well, it hits the crank arm and stops) it could go further
sembike.jpg

Last edited:
I see your adjustment screw way out.. on my lx, the front screw (the one you have way out) is about 2 mm higher than the other one.

does your thumb shifter adjust?... maybe it's adjusted to an extreme position and it won't let the derailer swing it's full course.

I just checked the lx derailer on my office bike.. i can get it to go out to 2 3/32 of an inch (well, it hits the crank arm and stops) it could go further

edit never mind...

does your thumb shifter adjust?... maybe it's adjusted to an extreme position and it won't let the derailer swing it's full course.

i have the issue when the shifter is disconnected

yeah, i am not even remotely close to that. is your lx shifter a top mount (the clamp holding it to the seat tube is above the derailleur)? and is it a top pull (cable pulls from above)?

maybe there is a retaining bolt restricting its movement.

I have the same lx deralier. I checked the adjustment on my shifter, if you screw the plastic fitting all the way in where the cable goes into the shifter, it won't let the shifter go to the big chain ring. Maybe bottom out all your adjustment screws... then back them out a few turns and set it back up.

I have the same lx deralier. I checked the adjustment on my shifter, if you screw the plastic fitting all the way in where the cable goes into the shifter, it won't let the shifter go to the big chain ring. Maybe bottom out all your adjustment screws... then back them out a few turns and set it back up.

that is a cable tensioner. by adjusting it that way you are reducing line tension.

in my case, the derailleur won't swing far enough out to reach the outer chain even if it is disconnected from the shifter completely.

i am at work but when i get back i will look again for some kind of packing part restricting the travel. would you mind taking a photo of your derailleur from behind? i would like to compare.

Looks like you were loosening the wrong limit screw. For the top pull, the inside one is the top limiter, according to SIS Adjustment, Section 3 of the set-up clicky, below.

M571 Clicky and set-up clicky.

.lol.

BTW, semlin's wife owes him a sloppy drooly blow job. That looks to be a pretty sweet ride he's making for her. She owes me one too for the tech.

Looks like you were loosening the wrong limit screw. For the top pull, the inside one is the top limiter, according to SIS Adjustment, Section 3 of the set-up clicky, below.

M571 Clicky and set-up clicky.

nope. the H and L screws are reversed on this one, and i have tried backing out both screws.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom