Front AC/heater fan motor not working (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 2008 Landcruiser front fan AC/Heater blower quit working. All the others in the rig work fine, AC still works, fuses look ok as far as I can tell. If someone could tell me where that actual fuse is, that would be a bonus. I’m wondering where the actual motor for this fan is located to begin to troubleshoot it. Anyone deal with this before? Thanks

There should be a 50A fuse in the under-hood block labeled "HTR" that is associated with the front blower motor.

The motor itself is in the passenger-side dashboard. If you open your glove box, remove the black cover in the upper area of it, then use your recirculate button on the AC set to recirc (DO NOT PUSH THE DOOR OPEN BY HAND) the recirc flap will move forward and you'll be looking at the cabin filter. Remove the filter and you can see the top of the squirrel cage fan.

To get to the connectors and wiring for it you'll need to remove the lower kick panel and passenger knee airbag.. I'd advise leaving the wiring on that connected. And since you are messing with airbags, disconnect the battery. IIRC you'll have to remove the passenger knee pad against the ashtray area, but I could be wrong on that.

There should be a 50A fuse in the under-hood block labeled "HTR" that is associated with the front blower motor.

The motor itself is in the passenger-side dashboard. If you open your glove box, remove the black cover in the upper area of it, then use your recirculate button on the AC set to recirc (DO NOT PUSH THE DOOR OPEN BY HAND) the recirc flap will move forward and you'll be looking at the cabin filter. Remove the filter and you can see the top of the squirrel cage fan.

To get to the connectors and wiring for it you'll need to remove the lower kick panel and passenger knee airbag.. I'd advise leaving the wiring on that connected. And since you are messing with airbags, disconnect the battery. IIRC you'll have to remove the passenger knee pad against the ashtray area, but I could be wrong on that.
That’s great info!

Great info! Thanks. I checked the fuse box, the diagram shows 50amp fuse, but it’s location isn’t in the same place as the diagram says it should be… maybe that sucker in in the cab fuse box instead.

That’s great info!

Great info! Thanks. I checked the fuse box, the diagram shows 50amp fuse, but it’s location isn’t in the same place as the diagram says it should be… maybe that sucker in in the cab fuse box instead.
No, it's in there, it just doesn't look like the normal plastic housed fuses. And it is pretty difficult to really see, I will admit.

If you clean off the clear plastic window and look down through it, you can see the soldered element and for some of the lower power fuses the Z shaped metal bar leading to it. There is a front and back side, with the fuse elements themselves being vertical.. so up and down.

The bad thing is it looks like you can't do each fuse individually.. you have to replace that whole buss assembly. But at least look down in there to see whether it has been popped.

No, it's in there, it just doesn't look like the normal plastic housed fuses. And it is pretty difficult to really see, I will admit.

If you clean off the clear plastic window and look down through it, you can see the soldered element and for some of the lower power fuses the Z shaped metal bar leading to it. There is a front and back side, with the fuse elements themselves being vertical.. so up and down.

The bad thing is it looks like you can't do each fuse individually.. you have to replace that whole buss assembly. But at least look down in there to see whether it has been popped.
Yes they sure are hard to see in there. They all seem to be intact. I was hoping it was popped, but oh well. On to the next step I guess. Lol

Yes they sure are hard to see in there. They all seem to be intact. I was hoping it was popped, but oh well. On to the next step I guess. Lol
Next step is verify +12v to the blower. According to the EWD there is a module attached to the blower that actually controls the speed.. it should have ground on the white/black wire, constant battery voltage on the blue wire, and the red/white wire is the signal from the AC amplifier/controller.

I just replaced mine this AM. Took me maybe 15 mins and I am no mechanic.

03BED194-4EEC-4951-B2BF-7E8EFC5E34AF.jpeg

87150D06-7435-4072-8FC6-BC8CE3022B3B.jpeg

That’s crazy! How’ed you do it? Where’d you get the part, how much? Thanks
Remove the kick panel below the glove box door. A couple pinch connections. No tools needed to remove panel. Remove the red sonar box ( two bolts ). Unplug the connection from the housing. - the plug is right up against the bottom of the glove box- it’s tight but can easily be unplugged. Remove the three bolts holding the fan housing. It will drop , but not completely. You’ll need to do a couple creative twists and turns to get it completely out.

Once you stick your head under there you will see that it’s a pretty simple process.

I picked the blower motor up from Groove Toyota in Denver. 236.00 tax included. He ordered yesterday and it was here this AM.

Blower motor
Part # 87103-60481
F10641DA-07C2-45E6-878E-48F642184C84.jpeg
50518936-5458-4D75-A02A-AA8F46F1F031.jpeg
C61E3529-ADC3-46A8-BBC0-97DD605F0DBC.jpeg
D690E309-6E13-45C0-B3CA-27F39ECFE599.jpeg
70F2E51E-12AC-41A4-9281-BFFA5B436104.jpeg

Man, thanks for the info! I really appreciate everyone’s help and time y’all take to help one another. The pics help a lot too!
Bloc suggested I test the power going to it. Did you do any testing to eliminate anything else before you just replaced the whole thing?

Just did this today with help from this thread. Nice and easy thanks to the write up, much appreciated!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom