fridge freezer (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.flickr.com
Since I didn't win the one we had at the raffle, congratulations Jeff, I am going to be buying one.
Found this:
Steveston Marine: marine, boating, and fishing supplies
It is a 40L Weaco unit, the only thing is that it is 12/24VDC as is, you'd need to buy an adaptor to run it off 110VAC but those can easily be purchased from other suppliers for cheap.
Got mine on order.

The Engel is decently priced too but for an extra $130 for 5L that just seems a little too much. The Waeco is still a reliable unit that has been around for a while, and has only 1 moving part in the compressor assembly as well as it can work up to a 30 degree incline.

So $580 US, plus $70 for shipping and it's smaller, believe me, I've been looking around for a while and the one from Steveston is a good deal. Thanks though.
Hey Phil, can you send me that link we talked about? Thanks

Steveston Marina shows 983.99 on their online store, obviously you are getting a better deal than that.
This is Model CF40-AC. Of I see the CF50 is a much better deal 699.99 and it's bigger, go figure.
Link on the way
P

If you don't have it, Bendtech Pro software is da bomb.
P

It's the secret code at the end of Fantoms post #5
P

Fantom

the thing that is nice about the new engel is it's tri. voltage 12/24/110 all in the same fridge but I belive they are heavier. I had the 60 combi on order from steveston marine but I lost my job. but when I looked over both of those they are great quality. I believe they still have a waeco 40 on the floor in the langley location on Fri. when I was in there, might have a scratch and dent price I'm pretty sure it was the 40L one.

They do have it but one of the guys over there wasn't very helpful, in fact he seemed like he didn't actually want to talk to customers and he told me that the fridge belonged to a customer.
I can make the unit tri-voltage too, when you buy the Waeco you can buy an optional 110V adaptor for another $200, or you can go to an electronics supplier and get a fully regulated 110/12V power supply for $50-60.

I also think for the same price (50-60) Canadian Tire sell a 110/12V convertor with a 12V accessory outlet.
Phil

Last edited:
Feezers and Coolers

One interesting feature with the ARB fridge I discovered is it can be plugged into the truck and operating on 24V and at the same time I can plug it into 110 AC (separate cord) and the fridge will then automatically switch from 24DC to 110AC. The fridge has a preference for 110Ac and takes it when available, even when connected to 24DC. Based on cycling times, I speculate the motor is optimized for 24DC , since it 'seems' to cycle less on 24DC than 110 AC.

For the trip I bought a 36 qt Coleman Xtream cooler to serve as my "cooler" when I am turning the ARB into a dedicated freezer. I am planning to cycle 4 one litre frozen juice bottles of ice between the ARB freezer and the Coleman Xtream cooler every day. I plan to make brackets to slide them in to keep them upright all the time.I chose the Coleman Xtream cooler over the Iglo Maxcold, based on recommendations I found on the Mud board from the US and the fact that the wall thickness of the Coleman Xtreame I measured at about 2 1/8th inches versus 1 7/8 inches for the Iglo Maxcold. The Coleman Xtream advertises 2” of insulation, which is R-10, my old Rubbermaid cooler has about ¾’ of insulation, which is about R-3.75 and it wasn’t very good. The Coleman Xtream, maybe a little small but I will be servicing it with manufactured ice on the trail from the ARB and had I got a bigger one I would be worried about taxing the ARB making larger amounts of ice and pulling down my batteries.

Coleman - 36 Quart Xtreme Cooler -

I have an Extreme. Very good cooler, mine is bigger but before the fridge it was my main cooler. I'd load four blocks of ice on the bottom and it would last easily for four days, even in high temps. I would pre-cool everything before it went into the cooler, I'm sure the 30 cold wobbly pops helped with the cooling as well.
P

Coleman Ultimate Extreme

Ditto on the X-treme Cooler. I have the Ultimate Extreme, actually. Just returned from a 6 day camping trip in the hot Similkameen Valley (30 plus degrees every day). Two ice blocks that I put in there with a bag of ice cubes finally finished melting on the 6th. night. I was in and out of the cooler 3-4 times a day.

I agree with Phil, pre-freeze everything; it thaws pretty quickly but stays cold the rest of the time, keep it out of the sun. Of course a fridge/freezer is better yet!

You lose storage volume with the extra insulation, but for this last long trip, I was glad I had the extra insulation.
DSCN1920.jpg

DSCN1921.jpg

So I finally had a chance to pick up my fridge/freezer today. It turns out that it's a little more bang for the buck then I originally thought. Turns out what showed up was the Dometic (Weaco) CT-50 (which is what I ordered but..)fully equipped with DC 12/24 power as well as 100-240VAC power ins with priority on those. The unit has a safety selection for voltage drain with 3 different settings so you don't kill your battery. I plugged it in at home and it went from +30C to +5C in 30 minutes, -5C took another 20 and -15 was another 20 minutes. It has a 49L capacity and is whisper quiet when running at full force. Very nice and the price was great in comparison to the competition. Oh, and this unit is designed to operate at even a 30 degree continuous incline.

As another test I ended up putting 3 of my medical freezer packs that were at room temperature (over 20C) into the freezer and it went up from -15 to -5 and stay there for a while, it's going back down slowly again. Not bad.

I did an accidental test on mine yesterday. Phil and I got to Kenyon at about 12, waited around for another 30 minutes while Kim finished "exploring", then about 4:30 we packed up and headed out.
It was then that I noticed I had left my lights on! But it still fired up no problems :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom