Friday 11/27 Wheeling (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Kevin, those things are rocks.
:grinpimp:

Kevin, those things are rocks.

I knew we could count on you for informative, insightful, input. It's great that you freely share your knowledge with the unwashed masses! :hillbilly:

I knew we could count on you for informative, insightful, input. It's great that you freely share your knowledge with the unwashed masses! :hillbilly:

I will say it is a cool formation. What you are looking at is a buttress unconformity. Those weirdly eroded layered rocks are much younger than the vegetated hillside. I can't tell what kind of rock the layered stuff is, volcanic ash or just sandstone/mudstone. That little drainage was there though and then the young rock was deposited, filling in the older topography. Now that is being eroded.

Cool stuff, someday I'll get off my lazy butt and come up for one of those runs.

Then again, I could be really wrong. I need a better picture of the interface between the cliff and the vegetated slope.

These are about half resolution, if you see a spot that looks interesting can cut further.
mud.jpg
mud_1.jpg

I'm not sure one of my pix is helpful, but the angle is sightly different...
DSC_5819a.jpg

Great photos!

It looks like that cliff forming unit, which mix of conglomerate layers and sandstones carries through under the vegetated slopes. Not what I initially posted, an onlapping onto paleo topography.

It is a common style of deposition here from an alluvial fan. Sediments are coming off some high topography filling in the basins/valleys in pulses. Something changes and you start getting erosion exposing these older fan deposits. Below your houses in the flat parts of Phoenix itlooks pretty similar to that cliff.

So what your saying is; it was a dirt mound/hill, something (likely the creek/wash) cut into it and years of rain/water run off turned it into the cool face that we see? :hillbilly:

Yep!

Except for the part about the mountain of rock that was weathered into the dirt that made the pile.

:hillbilly:

:lol::lol:

thats funny

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom