Foxy the 2020 Taco (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

joseywales

Renaissance Redneck
Threads
Well, I sold my ‘89 4Runner (I was in it for $2000 and was offered $10,500) and decided to let it go. I only put 2000 miles on it in 3 years, so it was costing me more in insurance than I paid for it. This has freed up some spending money for the new Tacoma.

We got the Taco last spring (2020 TRD OR Premium), and immediately put 255/85-16 Cooper ST Maxxs on it. I had them from my 100 series, so on they went. They fit stock with zero rub anywhere.

Not long after, I installed a basic 2” front/1” rear “lift”. The truck is leased for the tax write off, so I discussed lift options with my service manager who said while one of his techs were within hearing “do not lift it, or warranty will be void”, but as soon as the tech walked away said “ok, go ahead and lift it, but do something simple to remove in case there is a warranty claim on something in the drivetrain”. Once it’s out of warranty we will look at other options as thins wear out. The ride and handling both on and off-road with the factory Bilsteins is up to snuff for our use.

This morning I ordered a Softopper (had one on the 4Runner). They are a FANTASTIC product. Super well thought out and manufactured to a high standard.

Later this morning I’m confirming the order of Toyo AT IIIs in 285/75-16. The Coopers did a few years on the 100, and are getting down to 50% and are a bit noisy. The new Toyos are snow rated, and plenty aggressive for our area. We don’t get a lot of mud. Mostly rock and gravel on our back country roads. The truck is mostly used for upland bird hunting and fly fishing adventures, not trail running. ATs will be great.

I’ll post some pics up later today...

Looking forward to reading more about your Taco, and seeing some photos! I'm dead-set on going with the Toyo ATIII's as well, but in smaller size (265/75r16 w/ no lift). Will be curious to hear your thoughts on them.

Some pics. Family portrait on its first day home. Now she’s the sole Toyota in the driveway, but I’m always looking for another...

F90E817E-4657-45D7-A040-3AA6B848C06F.png

With the 255s on:

3C4CE1C3-D1D0-46A7-AE57-F9F7B917FE92.png

Earning her keep towing a customers trailer to our polisher, followed by an unscheduled locker test on a dog pee break:

0B7AE8EF-FCD1-466A-98F6-AC4921E51600.png

3EC9F2B3-9CFA-4B61-AE4D-AA6DE7422630.png

And with the lift in and pulling our “new” 1963 Globe Trotter off the car trailer:

1F2F8914-87CF-47D2-93C7-CC21A7BA80A6.png

Toyos should be on by end of the week so I’ll post a pic or two of them when they’re on the truck. My wife wanted BFG KO2s but I couldn’t stomach being like everyone else. Tacoma’s with KO2s are on every street corner here. Yawn...

Hope you don’t get too much rubbing with the 285/75s.

Man those vintage trailers are awesome!!!
Yeah, they are a fun way to make a living. There is still the usual “job” stuff involved, but it beats sanding drywall or cleaning toilets!

I see your in Ferndale? We are in Whiterock about 15 mins north of you. I REALLY need to get to La Gloria for some damn enchiladas soon. It’s been 16 months and I’m jonesing hard! Maybe a taco or six in the Taco?

Hope you don’t get too much rubbing with the 285/75s.

I got the Toyos on today. They are a bit less open treaded than I thought, but at least they’re not KO2s. I seem to have just the tiniest bit of rub on the UCAs. Kind of a bummer really, but the truck is nearly silent now!

The SofTopper also showed up today. The quality is, of course, fantastic. The install was a bit more involved than on the 4Runner, but still a well thought out product. I can’t imagine anyone being disappointed in their products. We decided on gray as it wouldn’t fade as much as black, would show dirt the least, and would be a bit cooler for the dogs.

Pics:

Yeah, they are a fun way to make a living. There is still the usual “job” stuff involved, but it beats sanding drywall or cleaning toilets!

I see your in Ferndale? We are in Whiterock about 15 mins north of you. I REALLY need to get to La Gloria for some damn enchiladas soon. It’s been 16 months and I’m jonesing hard! Maybe a taco or six in the Taco?
Yeah, right across the border: its crazy how long this border has been closed!!

Yup. I still pay for a warehouse space in Blaine, and we are paying $5.00 per gallon for fuel right now! Tacos are still my main priority for an opening though;) Really hope it opens soon...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom