Forbes says 300 series TT hybrid (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
As the title says twin turbo hybrid. Interesting is that they will use a 4 speed automatic transmission which is good since I believe CVT isnt a good option for hauling vehicles. Some of you may say it's fake news but this is Forbes but I wanted to post this up. 24mpg is pretty solid though.

Forbes: The Indestructible Toyota Land Cruiser To Get Turbo Hybrid For First Time.

Why does all this s*** end up in the 200 series tech section?

Maybe because it's a natural progression towards the 300 series column? You dont see post about a 300 series on an 80 series, however I'm pretty sure you see 200 series post on 100 series in 2006 when the 200s were coming to fruition. Pretty sure it's the same from 80s to 100s. Probably at that point the admins will make the 300 column and port all relevant information over. But until then.....

Maybe because it's a natural progression towards the 300 series column? You dont see post about a 300 series on an 80 series, however I'm pretty sure you see 200 series post on 100 series in 2006 when the 200s were coming to fruition. Pretty sure it's the same from 80s to 100s. Probably at that point the admins will make the 300 column and port all relevant information over. But until then.....

... it belongs in chat where all fun discussions of click bait hypothetical Land Cruisers go.

This is at least a major publication -- Forbes. There are a ton of click bait sites that aren't even coherent English sometimes (like this sentence). But when a major publication puts out the info, it's worth asking about IMO. Especially if you're about to buy a LC.

This is at least a major publication -- Forbes. There are a ton of click bait sites that aren't even coherent English sometimes (like this sentence). But when a major publication puts out the info, it's worth asking about IMO. Especially if you're about to buy a LC.
I'm hoping this is true, so the "obsolete" 200-series LC drop in price when I replace my 100 in the next year or two. I might buy a 5-yr-old 300-series before I retire if they aren't carp.

So is CNN, Fox, MSNBC, WSJ... but....

Doesn’t seem that far fetched for certain markets.

That said, the move to a 3.5TT (for fuel economy reasons) is pretty well corroborated at this point.

Last edited:
Also, if the author is correct and the new model will be available as a hybrid, the "4-speed Automatic" is probably (certainly) an ADDITIONAL transmission, to pair with a CVT, like in the LC 500h. The result?

Twin turbos, hybrid system, a much more complicated truck that will be very expensive to repair when it breaks.

Last edited:
Tesla is promising a new electric truck, Ford (Rivian) is already driving around southern Chile in their impressive electric pickups, and Toyota is hinting at 24mpg with greatly reduced durability/reliability?

Tesla is promising a new electric truck, Ford (Rivian) is already driving around southern Chile in their impressive electric pickups, and Toyota is hinting at 24mpg with greatly reduced durability/reliability?
Yeah but my neighbor has had three Teslas. I asked him why because my 100 has been in my driveway on and off for 15 years. He said that he swapped them because of mechanical problems. The white SUV was fancy, he was so proud when he pushed a button on his key fob, the doors opened and it played music. I was so astonished that I didn't even yawn. A year later he got rid of it because of problems.

Go figure

Last edited:

Electric vehicles have a lower resell value. I'm guessing due to the batteries having a known life expectancy. When you have to pony up thousands of dollars to replace batteries due to aging that's going to get built into the value of the vehicle.

I love the idea of better gas mileage. But, when the zombie apocalypse happens, will a petrol powered vehicle be better? :)

On a serious note though.... I do worry about buying a brand new vehicle getting 15 mpg and hoping someone will want to pay a reasonable amount for it in 5-7 years when there are a lot more electric vehicles on the road. I think we're going to approach a tipping point where the demand will drop for petrol powered vehicles enough to push down sale prices on our used ones.

Electric vehicles have a lower resell value. I'm guessing due to the batteries having a known life expectancy. When you have to pony up thousands of dollars to replace batteries due to aging that's going to get built into the value of the vehicle.

I love the idea of better gas mileage. But, when the zombie apocalypse happens, will a petrol powered vehicle be better? :)

On a serious note though.... I do worry about buying a brand new vehicle getting 15 mpg and hoping someone will want to pay a reasonable amount for it in 5-7 years when there are a lot more electric vehicles on the road. I think we're going to approach a tipping point where the demand will drop for petrol powered vehicles enough to push down sale prices on our used ones.
Why get rid of the pig if it is reliable and suits your needs. Low maintenance and being able to drive it 20 hours away isn't worth taking the risk of some POS electric gadget IMHO. Stick with the LC.

Yeah but my neighbor has had three Teslas. I asked him why because my 100 has been in my driveway on and off for 15 years. He said that he swapped them because of mechanical problems. The white SUV was fancy, he was so proud when he pushed a button on his key fob, the doors opened and it played music. I was so astonished that I didn't even yawn. A year later he got rid of it because of problems.

Go figure

Tesla and Rivian are two different stories. Tesla has a massive amount of debt and all kinds of design flaws in their current lineup.
Rivian has well over a billion in funding from Amazon and Ford (plus platform sharing deal), no major debt, and the ability to learn from all of Tesla's (and others') design flaws (suspension, paint, body, etc) and good designs from Munro and Associates who tear down every EV on the market. They've also been in development for the better part of the decade in stealth mode. I like the Rivian a lot more from what I see. Built right, an all electric EV could be more reliable than a twin turbo engine with a hybrid system.

True, but new cars experience rapid depreciation as well. And, ICE isn't going anywhere for a while. Check back in 10-20 years.

Tesla and Rivian are two different stories. Tesla has a massive amount of debt and all kinds of design flaws in their current lineup.
Rivian has well over a billion in funding from Amazon and Ford (plus platform sharing deal), no major debt, and the ability to learn from all of Tesla's (and others') design flaws (suspension, paint, body, etc) and good designs from Munro and Associates who tear down every EV on the market. They've also been in development for the better part of the decade in stealth mode. I like the Rivian a lot more from what I see. Built right, an all electric EV could be more reliable than a twin turbo engine with a hybrid system.
That makes sense but does it growl like a 2F? That's the question that needs to be answered. :D

True, but new cars experience rapid depreciation as well. And, ICE isn't going anywhere for a while. Check back in 10-20 years.
#ABOLISHICE!

-AOC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom