Fog Light Switch Wiring Help - 84160-60030 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

if you don't want electrical gremlins, the backlight bulb on that switch needs to be fed from the TAIL fuse. This is because the dimmer rheostat is on the TAIL circuit. The WHT/GRN wire from the rheostat isn't actually a ground, it's the rheostat wiper so it's only at ground potential when turned to full brightness. Turning the rheostat to fully dim however, would connect the CIG circuit to the TAIL circuit through the bulb in your switch.

In lieu of a diagram, I hope that was clear.
Ooh. I see. Rats. Okay, I REALLY have to find a low profile fuse tap then. Thanks for pointing it out. Actually, I don’t think the backlight on the switch currently works - it was a bright sunny day when I tested, but I felt like it was not on at all and this would explain why.

Ooh. I see. Rats. Okay, I REALLY have to find a low profile fuse tap then. Thanks for pointing it out. Actually, I don’t think the backlight on the switch currently works - it was a bright sunny day when I tested, but I felt like it was not on at all and this would explain why.
IF you had the dimmer turned down, the fog switch would light up whenever you turn OFF the parking lights. This is because it would get its ground through the tail lights.

IF you had the dimmer turned down, the fog switch would light up whenever you turn OFF the parking lights. This is because it would get its ground through the tail lights.

your pretty savoy on that whole topic ........

kool .. :)

have you wired up one of these before ?

its the LOCKING on / 0ff type ,

NOT momentary

has both bulbs

- ACTIVE ON

- interior illumination

-

BB7B239B-4948-4ADA-BA6E-C610C652C182.jpeg
7A89F53D-1856-4F1C-8BBB-BB39A850389B.jpeg
A5643DB7-876A-4E4D-9EB0-CAAF6785AC90.jpeg

Last edited:
Nope, but I know who to go to if I ever need one.

if you don't want electrical gremlins, the backlight bulb on that switch needs to be fed from the TAIL fuse. This is because the dimmer rheostat is on the TAIL circuit. The WHT/GRN wire from the rheostat isn't actually a ground, it's the rheostat wiper, so it's only at ground potential when turned to full brightness. Turning the rheostat to fully dim however, would connect the CIG circuit to the TAIL circuit through the bulb in your switch.

In lieu of a diagram, I hope that was clear.

Ok, I'd like to correct that by saying it's not just gremlins - it flat out won't work if you use any other fuse :D Thanks for that - this helped me. Basically, I hooked it up to the ACC fuse, but it looks like you are absolutely correct: that creates an incomplete circuit, and the relay no longer functions. My problem was that I couldn't find any fuse taps that would allow me to place them into those adjacent slots - the typical L shaped ones take up far too much space, and won't let you use an adjacent one... and then I came across these:

B9B76E3D-63F1-4084-9532-0B66715C412A.jpeg

The wire off that goes to another 5A fuse, and since the only devices I have hooked up to those fuses are two relays (on one) and a video camera and a e-toll thing on the other, I'm not likely to even approach 5A per wire, so I think this is the best solution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom