Flasher Failure - Help Please (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Bear with me, I've come a long way before asking for help.
1984 FJ60. Turn signals and emergency flashers stopped working - completely, no lights at all. Suspected flasher, priced new one from Toyota - $44. Decide to check the old one out first, just to make sure. Made a little test bed and the magnet clicks but the test light would not flash - not conclusive as my test light was pretty low amp. Decide to buy the Autozone-computer-called-for one for $9.95 and check it. It too would click but wouldn't flash my test light and wouldn't flash the lights in the truck either. To test it I put it in my Volvo wagon and it worked fine. Took the working one from the Volvo and it couldn't make the test light or truck lights flash either. OK, move on.
At the flasher connection:
Earth terminal has a nice ground.
Battery terminal is hot when called for (TS or Emergency flasher on),
Some slight resistance on the load terminal to ground, as you would expect.
Jumpering from battery terminal to load terminal gets either all lights with the flasher swith on or just two with the turn signal switch on.
I'm at a loss.
What am I missing????
Switches are hot and working, power is available, when power is connected the right things light up but I just can't get a flash. I'm almost ready to get the intermittent switch out and mount it on the dash.
Any suggestions will be gladly accepted.:confused:

Me too.

Sometimes my turn signals and flashers just don't work, then suddenly they'll start working fine again. I have no idea where to even start. Any help would be great.
C.

Check the terminal contacts inside the flasher housing to make sure they are making a good solid connection. Don't forget about the flasher fuse too, think it is a 15amp fuse. Check that one too.

Well, FWIW, I had this happen to mine, and it turned out to be turn/blinker/hazard apparatus in the steering column. I replaced it with a good used one and then everything worked. It was quite a while ago, so I don't remember what was the exact problem in the combo.

I know that doesn't help much, but if you're at the end... :meh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom