FJ80 steering options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm just about to pull the trigger and buy a complete FJ80 front axle. The only thing that's holding me back is the steering situation. Slee makes a weird setup, but other than that, I have found nothing, Ott is out untill who knows when, and their system bolts to the top of the knuckle which isn't ideal as it's only two bolts holding in on, making it, in my opinion, not so desireable a location for a steering arm. So I'm wondering if I can swap knuckles of a 60 onto the 80 housing and thus gain the option of a multitude of high steering options??? I'm SOA, so bolting my drag link to the existing arn that comes off the bottom of the knuckle won't work because of interferance with the spring, not to mention the hideous bump steer it would have. Ideas? Suggestions? I need to get to 63" WMS to WMS in some way or other.

I'm thinking that given that the 80 Birf's are larger than the 60 Birf's that the knuckles won't interchange. Got any pics of an 80 knuckle?

I'm just about to pull the trigger and buy a complete FJ80 front axle, Suggestions?

Yes, either buy the complete front suspenion and swap it in.

Or forget about the 80 front. Its not that it can't be done.

But unless you have mad fab skills, with access to a mill, Lathe and what not.

You are going to have to rig up some boooty fab steering. There is no plug and play solution.

The other option is to part out some of you existing front. I remeber you have, 27 spline longfields. (sell them)

Buy the axles, and spacers from lcwizard and be done with it. (and of course the 30 spline longs)

I am trying to decide, for my own use. Stock width 60 series front (SOA) or building a wide one.

Whats the downside of the stock width?

Yes, either buy the complete front suspenion and swap it in.

Or forget about the 80 front. Its not that it can't be done.

But unless you have mad fab skills, with access to a mill, Lathe and what not.

You are going to have to rig up some boooty fab steering. There is no plug and play solution.

The other option is to part out some of you existing front. I remeber you have, 27 spline longfields. (sell them)

Buy the axles, and spacers from lcwizard and be done with it. (and of course the 30 spline longs)

I am trying to decide, for my own use. Stock width 60 series front (SOA) or building a wide one.

Whats the downside of the stock width?

My rear is wider than my front, that's all. It drives fine, I'm just a little OCD. I'm currently running 1.5" spacers and it's still narrower by a total of three or four inches. I would like to minimize the scrub angle and get the extra stability. I have stock steering gear which is starting to worry me with the spacers, tire size, etc. so that will be changed out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom