Fj80 drive flange questions (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone.
I believe I need to replace the drive flange in my cruiser(92/fj80). Had a sudden disingaement of the tranny, lots of noise and scaryness, park would not stop the wheels... total disconect. Engage the CDL, everything is groovy. How do I confirm that it is the drive flange? Where can I get a replacement, toyota dealer lists a "Flange Sub Assembly Front Drive Pinion Companion" part number 41204d. Also, is there a thread that goes over the replacement in detail? Any help would be great.

the birfields are not making any noise yet, can i replace the drive flange without doing them... they are pricey

Sadly no. The birfelds have splines on them too, and these wear the same as the flanges.

Well, you CAN change just the drive flanges. However, it would be wise to inspect the splines on the Birfields at the same time and replace them if they are out of spec.

It is very possible that the Birf's have been replaced once or twice and the DF's never got replaced at the same time.

Last edited:
Possible yes, but if he was grinding already the birfs have probably seen some wear. It's free and easy to inspect before you actually have to tear into it.

Thanks guys, how can I verify that it is in fact the drive flange.?.. and is the part that Toyota calls the "flange sub assembly front drive pinion companion" the thing you are referring to when you say drive flange?

It was not grinding or making any noise before the sudden disengagement of the tranny

IMG_20170822_080727.png

No, it is NOT the "Flange Sub Assembly Front Drive Pinion Companion"

OK Things that it COULD be:

Because you said it would not hold in park, there is the equivalent of one wheel off the ground. Lock in the CDL, the problem goes away.
If the viscous coupler in the transfer case fails, it locks up, not releases.

Going with the no hold in park limits it to front or rear axle and drive shafts / axles.

First: Drive Flanges (P/N 43421-60022 Flange) (Item 2)
Front Brakes for 1992 Toyota Land Cruiser | Toyota Parts

Second: Birfield / front axle broken (Item 17, 18)
Front Axle for 1992 Toyota Land Cruiser | Toyota Parts

Third: Missing driveshaft
Are both the front and rear driveshafts installed properly?

Fourth: Differential spider gears broken (Items 9, 10, 11)
Front Axle for 1992 Toyota Land Cruiser | Toyota Parts

Darn it! @mudgudgeon beat me to it while I was typing and entering and being distracted!

That's the ticket, popped the dust cap and the hub spun free of the axle on that stripped flange got the new one coming from the dealer tomorrow. Nice and easy. I appreciate the help my book doesn't get into the axles much and I was getting frustrated. I will update with pics when I throw the new one on. Saved me from buying the wrong part and wasting my time. Not going to do the birfields until they start giving me trouble.

Have any pictures? It takes talent to strip that, it's not a typical wear item. Did something happen to put it through a lot of stress?

Have any pictures? It takes talent to strip that, it's not a typical wear item. Did something happen to put it through a lot of stress?
I will take pictures tomorrow when I bust it all open. It does have a 250k, I have only had the truck for 4 years, treat it real nice. Kind of like dating in your forties though, you have to assume someone has had some fun with her.

I will take pictures tomorrow when I bust it all open. It does have a 250k, I have only had the truck for 4 years, treat it real nice. Kind of like dating in your forties though, you have to assume someone has had some fun with her.
Lol

I would say it is very much a wear item, particularly in the earlier models pre update in late '93. They are the cause of a high portion of drive line backlash, but probably usually get changed before they strip completely.

If/when you also change birfs, use '94+ birfs AND '94+ drive flanges.

The early to ~94 birf/driveplate is the same length as the FJ40/60 etc. Was found to be weak with the fulltime '80 bulk, the newer ones are longer/stronger. The early type fail pretty often at this age.

I would say it is very much a wear item, particularly in the earlier models pre update in late '93. They are the cause of a high portion of drive line backlash, but probably usually get changed before they strip completely.

If/when you also change birfs, use '94+ birfs AND '94+ drive flanges.

The early to ~94 birf/driveplate is the same length as the FJ40/60 etc. Was found to be weak with the fulltime '80 bulk, the newer ones are longer/stronger. The early type fail pretty often at this age.

Thanks for setting me straight :cheers:

UPDATE...

It was the drive flange, puppy was smooth as silk. The birf was worn a little, but in pretty good shape, plus the new flange was "updated" version so it is longer and seems to cover a little more of the birf. I plan on rebuilding the whole front end next spring when I have some money for it. Thanks yall, Mudgugeon, the part number and drawing helped immensely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom