FJ62 Transmission Success Story!! and kickdown cable how-to (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Howdy all. Little background: 1988 FJ62 172k miles, all stock. Only had it about 5k miles. Runs and drives great. About a month ago I noticed it started upshifting later and later in the rpm. It got progressively worse.

After a few days it was basically undriveable because it would only shift until the engine was at redline or very close to it; I'd have to keep on the throttle until the engine reached redline or close it it before trans would upshift. Reverse still worked, as did 1st (L) and could still manually shift to 2nd. But 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th would only happen at redline. Thought trans was toast.

Did some reading here on the forums on FJ62s with similar symptoms and did a Rodney Flush and party trick (party trick in 3rd gear because I couldn't go fast enough for the trans to shift into 4th without having to slow for curves). No change after Rodney flushe or party trick. Started looking for a 5.3 and 4L60E since had been wanting to do a vortec swap anyway and figure now that the A440F was toast it would be a good time to do the swap.

Then a few days ago, just before I gave up on the trans completely, I checked the "kickdown" cable. Not really a kickdown cable, more of a throttle position cable to tell the trans what the engine throttle position is at any given time. Anyway, it was fully slack in the WOT position. Unhooked it at the throttle-side and couldn't move it in or out. Tried oiling it, still no movement. Unhooked it at the trans side and no movement there either. Removed cable and still no movement! Cut cable in half with a Dremel and the cable/wire rope core itself was rusty and stuck. Had rusted enough inside the housing that the cable/wire rope started to fray.

Ordered a new cable and hoped replacing it would solve the problem. I had done some reading on the kickdown cable back when the trans first started acting up and didn't check it until now. I was hopeful, but definitely not certain, that the late upshifting was caused by the cable. Replaced it today and test drive and the trans shifted correctly and on time!! I was so stoked that an $80 cable fixed it and that I didn't have to rebuild or replace the trans.

As for specifics on the cable problem, I noticed the kickdown cable was stuck in the WOT position. Best I can gather is that because the cable was stuck at WOT, the trans thought the engine was at WOT all the time, and thus delayed the upshifting until close to redline.

I was able to fairly easily replace the cable without removing the trans filter or valve body. The FSM says to remove the valve body and drop the trans a bit; I guess to get better access to the cable. I just removed the pan, unhooked the cable end from the pulley groove piece it hooks to. Then I carefully broke off the 4 plastic tabs on the housing of the cable where it goes through the transmission case. After the tabs are broken off and you've made sure they didn't fall inside the trans somewhere, then the cable just slides out front the top. Installing the new one was not much more difficult. Routed it from the throttle-side then down to the trans. Poke the trans-side through the hole in the trans and make sure the 4 tabs snap/click into place. I oiled the o ring just above the 4 tabs before installing. Then to fit the cable end into the pulley groove I rotated the pulley around until the slot was facing me (looking up from laying down under the truck). Slip cable into slot and let it rotate back to its normal position (the pulley groove piece is spring loaded). Was really pretty easy and I definitely recommend trying it this way instead of removing the filter and valve body. Isn't even that messy after you let the ATF drain out after removing the pan.

Long-winded, but there you have it! If your trans shows these symptoms, check the kickdown cable (like I should have down early on)! Thought I had a toasted trans that would be expensive to repair or replace and ended up just being the kickdown cable.

Picture below shows the old cable after I had removed it. It wasn't frayed nearly that much in the housing. I did most of that by rolling the cable between my finger. I looped the end back on itself so you could see what it it supposed to look like when not all rusty. Hope this can be of help to someone experiencing the same thing.

Stephan

20161007_150037.jpg

Great writeup and success story. Thanks for posting.

pure tech...

Excellent write up. My 88 FJ62 is doing the same thing. Going to try my best to follow your instruction. Where did you buy the kickdown cable from? Thanks

Great right up. Saved to my 62 maintence folder. Thanks.

This is a really great tech write up. Thanks for taking the time to share it!

I was having the same symptoms that you described and confirmed with my local landcruiser gurus that my kickdown cable needed to be replaced. Following your instructions, I took the old cable out and put the new cable in place, but installing that fiddly little wire cylinder into the transmission-side pulley is definitely not trivial when you have big dumb sausage fingers.

Question: I noticed my original kickdown cable didn't have the crimpable stopper illustrated on AT-6 of the FSM. What's the purpose of this stopper?

Been a while, but do you remember where you ordered the cable from?

Thanks,
Steve

Howdy all. Little background: 1988 FJ62 172k miles, all stock. Only had it about 5k miles. Runs and drives great. About a month ago I noticed it started upshifting later and later in the rpm. It got progressively worse.

After a few days it was basically undriveable because it would only shift until the engine was at redline or very close to it; I'd have to keep on the throttle until the engine reached redline or close it it before trans would upshift. Reverse still worked, as did 1st (L) and could still manually shift to 2nd. But 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th would only happen at redline. Thought trans was toast.

Did some reading here on the forums on FJ62s with similar symptoms and did a Rodney Flush and party trick (party trick in 3rd gear because I couldn't go fast enough for the trans to shift into 4th without having to slow for curves). No change after Rodney flushe or party trick. Started looking for a 5.3 and 4L60E since had been wanting to do a vortec swap anyway and figure now that the A440F was toast it would be a good time to do the swap.

Then a few days ago, just before I gave up on the trans completely, I checked the "kickdown" cable. Not really a kickdown cable, more of a throttle position cable to tell the trans what the engine throttle position is at any given time. Anyway, it was fully slack in the WOT position. Unhooked it at the throttle-side and couldn't move it in or out. Tried oiling it, still no movement. Unhooked it at the trans side and no movement there either. Removed cable and still no movement! Cut cable in half with a Dremel and the cable/wire rope core itself was rusty and stuck. Had rusted enough inside the housing that the cable/wire rope started to fray.

Ordered a new cable and hoped replacing it would solve the problem. I had done some reading on the kickdown cable back when the trans first started acting up and didn't check it until now. I was hopeful, but definitely not certain, that the late upshifting was caused by the cable. Replaced it today and test drive and the trans shifted correctly and on time!! I was so stoked that an $80 cable fixed it and that I didn't have to rebuild or replace the trans.

As for specifics on the cable problem, I noticed the kickdown cable was stuck in the WOT position. Best I can gather is that because the cable was stuck at WOT, the trans thought the engine was at WOT all the time, and thus delayed the upshifting until close to redline.

I was able to fairly easily replace the cable without removing the trans filter or valve body. The FSM says to remove the valve body and drop the trans a bit; I guess to get better access to the cable. I just removed the pan, unhooked the cable end from the pulley groove piece it hooks to. Then I carefully broke off the 4 plastic tabs on the housing of the cable where it goes through the transmission case. After the tabs are broken off and you've made sure they didn't fall inside the trans somewhere, then the cable just slides out front the top. Installing the new one was not much more difficult. Routed it from the throttle-side then down to the trans. Poke the trans-side through the hole in the trans and make sure the 4 tabs snap/click into place. I oiled the o ring just above the 4 tabs before installing. Then to fit the cable end into the pulley groove I rotated the pulley around until the slot was facing me (looking up from laying down under the truck). Slip cable into slot and let it rotate back to its normal position (the pulley groove piece is spring loaded). Was really pretty easy and I definitely recommend trying it this way instead of removing the filter and valve body. Isn't even that messy after you let the ATF drain out after removing the pan.

Long-winded, but there you have it! If your trans shows these symptoms, check the kickdown cable (like I should have down early on)! Thought I had a toasted trans that would be expensive to repair or replace and ended up just being the kickdown cable.

Picture below shows the old cable after I had removed it. It wasn't frayed nearly that much in the housing. I did most of that by rolling the cable between my finger. I looped the end back on itself so you could see what it it supposed to look like when not all rusty. Hope this can be of help to someone experiencing the same thing.

Stephan

View attachment 1332973

1989 FJ62 with 245,000 florida miles. Same symptoms, harder and higher rpms to go into 3rd. but sometimes no reverse. I had the kick down cable replaced but ,alas, no improvement. Any suggestions for a next step?
Thank you all for the continuing support,
Dan

1989 FJ62 with 245,000 florida miles. Same symptoms, harder and higher rpms to go into 3rd. but sometimes no reverse. I had the kick down cable replaced but ,alas, no improvement. Any suggestions for a next step?
Thank you all for the continuing support,
Dan

Dan,

Did you ever solve this issue? I'm currently having the same problem - throttle cable will be replaced for the high RPMS issue, but as for losing reverse, I'm not to sure why I'm (we, if you haven't fixed it) having that issue.

Cheers,

Ryan.

Dan,

Did you ever solve this issue? I'm currently having the same problem - throttle cable will be replaced for the high RPMS issue, but as for losing reverse, I'm not to sure why I'm (we, if you haven't fixed it) having that issue.

Cheers,

Ryan.
Did you all ever fix your issue? I have an 88 FJ62 and lost reverse myself. All other gears work. I put it in reverse and it just revs. I get pretty high RPM's when it shifts into 2nd. Haven't tried to adjust the kick down cable or replace it.

Ended up having the transmission rebuilt. Lee County Transmissions in Fort Myers, FL.
Thanks for the reply. May end up going that route myself. Not too many options for these beasts. Thanks again.

I had similar issues, it was the kick down cable….replaced ( PITA, not to bad) all is fine, now trying to fine tune the cable adjustment…

I had similar issues, it was the kick down cable….replaced ( PITA, not to bad) all is fine, now trying to fine tune the cable adjustment…
FSM has the spec, I messed with mine before dropping it back to that spec range and it's been great ever since.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom