FJ62 Compared To A FJ80? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone owned or frequently driven a FJ80 ('91-'92) and a 62? I was wondering how they compared since they have the same engine. What is the difference in the ride, power (factory gearing difference?) etc. I know the FJ80 is AWD but is the trany the same? Is it the same basic TC?
Any input on any aspect would be appreciated!

I test drove an FJ80 about a year ago and really wanted it, but the wife wanted something newer. It was much more comfortable than my FJ60 lots more options, third row seat, leather, power everything. I also like the coil sprung suspension better on the 80. If I could trade, I definitely would take an FJ80.

one is a real off road vehicle, the other is a vehicle that can be take off road, but will need more mods to avoid breaking stock parts.

I test drove an FJ80 about a year ago and really wanted it, but the wife wanted something newer. It was much more comfortable than my FJ60 lots more options, third row seat, leather, power everything. I also like the coil sprung suspension better on the 80. If I could trade, I definitely would take an FJ80.

Thanks Josh.
I won't be getting rid of my 62. If I bought a FJ80 (considering a '91) I would be adding to the herd.
Any input would be great!

Slower,
The 92 I had for 60+K was a dog, The awd really sucks the power, There is a part time kit for them but Honestly think it is a waste of time. I loved it, I loved wheeling it but if you have a 62 you know about the grunt of a 3FE.
That is the downside from a 62 to an early 80.
On the plus side it rides a lot nicer, has a better rear departure angle (stock) a lot better flex (again stock)

It does not have the soul of a 60 but every other nice thing it does have.

Dave

Slower,
The 92 I had for 60+K was a dog, The awd really sucks the power, There is a part time kit for them but Honestly think it is a waste of time. I loved it, I loved wheeling it but if you have a 62 you know about the grunt of a 3FE.
That is the downside from a 62 to an early 80.
On the plus side it rides a lot nicer, has a better rear departure angle (stock) a lot better flex (again stock)

It does not have the soul of a 60 but every other nice thing it does have.

Dave

Thanks for the info Dave especially the power or lack of. If I am going to add an 80 I probably should spend the extra on the FZJ.

The 62 and the 91-92 80 share the same engine but the 80 weighs more. I have noticed that the 91-92 80 are the cheapest landcruiser on the market. The 62 and 60 in comparable shape will bring more money that a first generation 80. The 62 has more power and all the comfort features of the 80. The 80 is going to give you a third row seat and sunroof. I would not consider a making the trade if its your daily driver. Way to underpowered.

There is not as Land cruiser in stock form that was built before 1998 that will even come close to a respectable 1/4 mile ET.
Land cruisers are just not pavement pounding drag cars.

If you really like your 62, you will really like the 91/92 80. It has alot more creature comforts, rides better and is just as capable off-road. I can cruise in mine at 75-80 all day on the interstate, just does not get there by burning up the pavement on the way. Mine is well tuned and I have no problems with the way it performs. A well flowing exhaust and a gearing change can make the FJ80 shine. If you like the reliability of your 62 you will be getting it with the 80 also.

In the defense of the FZJ it does come with extra hp and the option of factory lockers which may sway you if you can get around the quirky maintenance problems and blown head gaskets.

i used to go to school with my cousin in his 91 fj80. very gutless and slow. had no power at all.

The 62's are very cool trucks but the FJ80's have better approach and dep. angles, better susp., hi-pinion front axles, locker options, WAY better bodies and frames as far as rust etc.... more capable than a 60/62 off road by a good margin. They are SLOW though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom