FJ60 V8 Conversion vs Current MAF 2F with work... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

M0untaineer

Montani Semper Liberi
Threads
So my mileage has gotten downright terrible...I'm thinking of having the carb rebuilt and going with a new DUI distributor...

So I've been cruising the threads on dropping a V8 into FJ60s...doesn't look too bad, especially for a 350 SBC or a 5.3 Vortec...the main hurdles as I see it are:
1. Money $$$
2. Time
3. Expertise (probably the biggest one for me...oh, I almost forgot having to explain to the wife why I'm spending so much money on the truck...lol).

I'm very torn on the whole thing- especially since the truck has had some serious $$$ spent on the Man-A-Fre High Pro 2F, Headers, etc...

I'm just wondering what ya'll think?

I'm wondering if I should bite the bullet and go V8 and be done with it and what everyone thinks the real world cost would be to do it or if spending $1-2K on getting the 2F running flawlessly (and possibly desmogging) would be the way to go...

I hate to desmog as well since they've spent a ***load of money getting the thing to pass CA emissions...

Thanks to all for any inputs...

Last edited:
Here's the way I see it...

5.3 GM LS for bang for buck (power vs cost vs MPG).

4.7 2UZ-FE for cool factor and staying Toyota loyal.

Keep the 2F CA smogged for resale value later, if you ever wanted to sell it.

So, what's your ultimate goal? Resale, coolness factor, or cheap woopow?

If you decided to go V8, you could fund the majority of it by selling the 5 speed and running an auto transmission. :D

Personally, I'd try to tune the 2F first. What MPG are you currently getting?

As for your swap hurdles, money and time is on you, but we've got enough expertise around here and in the 60 Series forum to tackle it more than likely.

Thanks Josh...I'm inclined to do what you suggest and drop a little $$$ on the 2F and see what, if any, gains I can make.

Not interested in coolness factor, but would be nice to have a little more power/MPG...although the 2F and 5 speed seem to be wonderful on the trails....1st gear just crawls...

From the threads I've read, the minimum cost seems to be about $5K with everything done/sourced by yourself and $10K or more if you want to have someone drop it in for you...

What do you think?

I just really hate to part with the 2F, but I do admit it would be nice to get rid of the smog spaghetti in the engine bay...

I say desmog and carb rebuild by JimC. You've already got a proven setup that may just need a little tune up. Why worry about how much the PO spent on keeping it CA smog legal when we don't have those restrictions here? Like you stated, you'll gain a little more power plus clean up all that spaghetti inside your engine bay.

Just my .02.

I've thought about the same thing. I know my 3FE is probably on it's last leg with over 265k miles, but it really runs pretty good for what it is. I actually just got everything in the mail yesterday to desmog mine, so I'm going to tackle that this weekend. I will let you know how it goes and if I see any improvements.

Could you be more specific in what you think is causing the terrible MPG? I think just a general tuneup (plugs, wires, cap/rotor, o2 sensors, new cats, desmog, etc) would be beneficial before throwing $5k for a v8 swap (granted it would be cool, but is it worth it to you now).

If you do want to go ahead with the v8 I would be down to help. I've got some pretty good experience with the LS engines if you decide to go that route.

Thanks Cole...definitely need to think about it-I think you're right. Would be foolish not to go ahead and try a tune up and see if that helps...

The MAF Hi-Pro only has about 60K on it, so I think it's still got plenty of life left and it runs just fine.

...hey if you're going to Mardi Krawl, I might convoy down with you...I'm not sure of my schedule for sure just yet, but it looks like I might be free on the 11th to travel down...will let you know.

Thanks Cole...definitely need to think about it-I think you're right. Would be foolish not to go ahead and try a tune up and see if that helps... The MAF Hi-Pro only has about 60K on it, so I think it's still got plenty of life left and it runs just fine. ...hey if you're going to Mardi Krawl, I might convoy down with you...I'm not sure of my schedule for sure just yet, but it looks like I might be free on the 11th to travel down...will let you know.

That is what I would do. I would probably make it difficult on myself and dump the spaghetti as well.

...hey if you're going to Mardi Krawl, I might convoy down with you...I'm not sure of my schedule for sure just yet, but it looks like I might be free on the 11th to travel down...will let you know.

Sounds good, I'm guessing they have room to camp at this place I hope? I haven't even looked at the registration stuff yet

Thanks Mark- That's great info...I talked to JimC on rebuilding the carb and his turnaround time is like 4 weeks...

I'd love to do the TH carb and the de-smog (still hesitant if I ever wanted to sell it- I guess I could get it re-smogged later if I had to???)....

I appreciate everyone's 2 cents...

ok...Thanks everyone...Here's what I'm going to do... (just figured I'd close this one out) (yes, I will send pictures when I get everything complete).

Getting a Trollhole Carb and the de-smog kit from Jim C and going to rip out the spaghetti and go for it....

Thanks all!

De-Smogged, New Trollhole Carb, and DUI Distributor in....got 17 mpg on this last trip...pretty happy with the results...

Not much of a difference in power, but the mpg is way better...

IMG_3552.jpg

IMG_3554.jpg

IMG_3555.jpg

That's great. Just a light serving of spaghetti now.

Thanks Josh...wish I had that 350's power though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom