Fj60 sbc conversion parts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
RETURNED TO DOWNEY FOR PARTIAL CREDIT - THANKS, JIM!

The brainiacs that put the 5.7 Vortec/4L60E in my '84 FJ60 musta ordered everything they could think of from Downey & gave me the leftovers in boxes. Well, I finally decided to find out what it was, & lo & behold one box held a complete Fine Spline '78-'87 Front Output Flange/Joint #41478-F listing for $178.00 "The stock Landcruiser upper universal joint is too large and will not clear a GM automatic transmission. A smaller universal joint is required to clear the transmission, yet it must be capable of withstanding Chevota front output H.P. This kit includes a specially machined transfer-case front output flange that has been machined for a direct bolt-on onto the Spicer universal joint. The kit also includes a Spicer Yoke, Spicer cross joint, and Spicer male and female slip yokes (as shown)" : Downey Off-Road

The other box held a Frequency Module #33610 listing for $131.82 "For engine conversions, this module has been designed to intercept, modify, and transmit a corrected signal to the computer, a signal that has been reconfigured for your vehicles’ tire diameter and ring gear ratio, even if they have never been modified from stock. It readjust the signal from your vehicle speed sensor, then transmits an electronic signal to the engine computer or electronic speedometer. Programming is accomplished with dip switches (just like those on your garage door opener), an instruction sheet and a list of ratio codes are supplied with the module": Downey Off-Road Electronics

Evidently the brainiacs got around the driveshaft problem by having a complete custom one made. I have about 1/4" clearance between the welding bead for the end of the driveshaft & the transmission pan (it looks like either someone hammered in a depression in the pan next to the DS or the DS has worn it in). In either case, the Downey kit won't give me any more clearance because the tight spot would be where the Spicer male slip joint piece would be welded to the DS.

The Downey TC VSS mount worked out fine with the 4.11s & 33s so no corrections were needed for the control electronics. I crawled under my SBC 60 the other day with the output flange stuff & it really is smaller than what I have & would provide greater clearance. Looks like the bell end of the splined shaft gets welded onto a stock front drive shaft that has been cut on the TC end. Prolly easy to get a driveshaft shop to do.

Make me an offer on one or both: my shop is in Castle Rock, CO & it's better to email me steve@satelliteglass.com or call 303 688-0675 7-5 M-F.
IMG_0860.jpg
IMG_0861.jpg

Last edited:
NLA! Jim at Downey offered to take it all back in trade for partial store credit.

I can't say how thrilled I am!

Thanks again, Jim!

yup, jim's a great guy to do business with. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom