FJ60 Newbie Questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all Im new here, no duh huh? Anyway Im considering getting a 83 FJ60 and just wanted some info so I can be sure I don't buy a dud, and so I know what cost I will need to build it up the way I want. If ya could answer any of the questions below I would greatly appreciate it. BTW I love the beer icon :beer:

1) What tire size will fit on a FJ60 with 2" or 3" Shackel lift?
2) What size tire will work without needing to re-gear for highway/road/every day driving? How much does re-gearing cost?
3) This will be my 4x4 snow vehicle and will need to be reliable and go long distances, on par are they reliable?
4) Lastly, if you could point out anything that is a typical bad point on these vehicles, stuff to check to be sure im not getting a lemon?

Thanks a lot

believe 33's will fit easily with shackles and not need regearing. anything above that will probably require more mods.

theyre very reliable if taken care of. only problem is when there is a problem the parts are expensive.

look for usual things with older vehicle, leaks, compression, realize its 20 years old and if its in great shape its going to cost you more, if its cheaper its going to cost you more :D only difference is the satisfaction of knowing your vehicle and choosing what gets done to it. rust is probably the worst problem with 60's.

Check this out...it calculate it fer ya:
http://jtoutfitters.com/product/TIRECALCULATIONS

Once advice... I had a 62 and parts are hard to find. If you don't have either of the following I would get em once you got your 60

SOR catalog
ebay account

Good luck on the hunt!

Yo Han

..fergot

I think they say 31" are ideal. That is what I had on mine and it had no issues holding speed on the hwy.... unless there was a decent grade :eek: ...that was a 62tho and a AT.

The 62 was very reliable. SHe had bout 170k on her when i sold her last year and the tranmission, transfer and engine, where still strong. I had some slop in the steering, but it was original still, so what can u expect, rt?

Just would make sure also, that the one you get does't have too much cancer/rust on the frame.

my cent
Yo Han

Ok. That helps a lot. There is a lot of rust on the fenders and rain gutters, but i havn't checked the frame. But they also say it needs a new gas tank cause it has rust insided. So we shall see. Thanks a lot guys

especially eyeball the ass end of the frame.... around the rear spring gusset mounts and crossmembers.

I've had to replace those on my project 40 (PITA).... and if I had to do it again, would of got a cleaner frame.

FJ60 gas tanks cost about $750 new. But there was a saftey recall the required the tank to be replaced at Toyota's expense. Unfortunately you only get one new tank per truck :( If you're looking at a truck that needs a new tank. Call up the local Toy dealer with the VIN and ask if the truck in question has already received its complimentary gas tank. And yes, look at the rust condition of the frame rails. Don't worry about rust on the fenders - it makes rock dents easier to stomach.

[quote author=Justdoitmikey link=board=1;threadid=5343;start=msg41975#msg41975 date=1063773338]
Hey all Im new here, no duh huh? Anyway Im considering getting a 83 FJ60 and just wanted some info so I can be sure I don't buy a dud, and so I know what cost I will need to build it up the way I want. If ya could answer any of the questions below I would greatly appreciate it. BTW I love the beer icon :beer:

1) What tire size will fit on a FJ60 with 2" or 3" Shackel lift?
2) What size tire will work without needing to re-gear for highway/road/every day driving? How much does re-gearing cost?
3) This will be my 4x4 snow vehicle and will need to be reliable and go long distances, on par are they reliable?
4) Lastly, if you could point out anything that is a typical bad point on these vehicles, stuff to check to be sure im not getting a lemon?

Thanks a lot
[/quote]

1) 33s maybe
2) 31s work decently
3) yes once maintenance has been done
4) rust in rear wheel wells, rear frame cross-member behind bumper, PS pump leaking into air pump, intake man leaks near carb, driver's side motor mount

If you can, go for mid '85 or later.

as 60 driver i think 31 are as big as you can go with out gears i pulled the 33 back off mine till the gears ..4th was gone on all but flat land i found fj40 410 drop outs and i'm going to drill the flange to match and have 410 with the 33 should be good i had 31 stock 2 in and 33 on 8 in wheels should work great i'm runnig 2.5 springs and 1.5 shackles with room for 35/1250 on 10's but i'm stickin with 33's for now ... hope this helps .... dont know about the rust mines a texas truck ...but i've seen some very scarey pics before so watch out

Another opinion from a 60 driver.

I run 33's on mine with a 2.5 inch lift and stock gears, it's a little sluggish getting started and running uphill, but flat freeway speeds are great. I'm planning on a 4.11 change over for the extra getup, just haven't fully decided yet. Sounds like you may have already decided on one, post the description and price and we can give you an idea of how much astro-glide to use. ;)

Follow the advice of 60WAG for the tank, if it's already been done, get the 45 gallon one. You lose your spare, but more of a reason for a rear swing away!

Thanks for all the help so far it has been slightly encouraging, and yet not so much at times. Anyway one of you asked for the bio on the truck, so here it is:
83 FJ60, 160,000 miles. Guy says it has rust in the tank and needs to be cleaned good or replaced with a new tank. Body is rusted, mainly in the rear fenders, and rain gutters, a little on the hood, but most of this has patchy bondo in it, and been primered over, all the body work I can easily do though. Has Rockcrawler wheels (I believe) with 31's. Im pretty sure it has a 2" shackel lift already. Guy also said it needs some carb tuning, but I havn't had a chance to drive it. Interior is worn but not trashed. And the rear springs need to be beefed up its got saggy bottom. I really need to test drive it to be sure there arn't worse problems. But asking price is $2,800.

What I need is for it to be reliable, Im planning on using it to drive to North Carolina from my home in North Georgia, about 20 times this winter (snowboarding day trip Vehicle) Im hoping it doesn't need much mechanicaly, but i'll just have to check it out good. If anyone has any recomendations on what else to check out very good whether it be mechanically or structuraly please let me know, and give me any feedback on how the vehicle sounds for the $$. Thanks alot for your awsome knowledge guys.

I run 31s on mine with no regearing and it runs great city and highway. My '84 fj60 has spent its whole life in California so there is hardly any rust on it and it is a strong vehicle. Beware it may not like cold starts...i have to chock mine out on cool mornings for a bit. mp_cude is right...they are addicting!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom