FJ60 Fuel Leak at "fuel connector" rear quarter panel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey folks,

Long time reader, first time poster.

I have a 1987 FJ60 with a replaced fuel tank ('91), that was recently dropped and resealed ('19). I have read numerous threads on the issue, but can't seem to properly diagnose and solve my fuel leak problem.

Context: replaced after-market charcoal cannister 6 months ago, and recently had the Carb rebuilt and tuned by Iron Pig in Fredericksburg. Was still having issues with a rough idle, even with a twice rebuilt carb and fuel lines replaced, so swapped the in/out lines on the top of the charcoal cannister. Car is idling a bit higher now, but smooth as ever.

Problem: Even before the carb rebuild and the cannister fix and since, there was a strong smell of fuel inside the vehicle. Last week, I identified a fuel "leak" in the rear quarter panel where the vapor separator joins the tank at the interior wall. The leak is definitely occurring on the gas tank side of the vapor/ fuel connection (see the attached diagram. The connection in question is #46). That connector piece, #46, is new and non-rusted. After identifying the leak, I replaced all the hoses inside the panel that connect to the vapor separator.

Today, I noticed when I drove the truck from the cool garage to a shop and then to a restaurant- there was no fuel leakage and no fuel spillover on these lines or at the fuel connector part. However, after the truck sat in the sun, there was a steady stream of fuel leaking on the gas tank side of the fuel connector. i.e. leaking from the connection running from the gas tank to the fuel connector, NOT from the fuel separator back out and up towards the front of the vehicle. However, since that connector piece (#46) is bolted from the inside out, the leaking fuel was running, primarily down the inside wall and collecting inside the rear quarter panel- causing a massive stench in the vehicle.

Since there was no issue driving the car cold, this leads me to believe that I do NOT have a fuel spillover or fuel neck issue, although I have purchased an OEM cap. This leads me to believe what I have is a vapor problem--- the lines gathering the vapor off the tank cannot send the vapor into the vapor separator and thereby up to the front of the car. I know the vapor separator is supposed to run to the charcoal canister... have a gummed that up with the switch? Or maybe it was a bad charcoal cannister, I installed? Or maybe I have the lines to/from crossed?

I have no issue of the tell-tale "woosh" that comes from a vapor lock... so perhaps it is just some blocked lines into the fuel connector?

Any thoughts/ troubleshooting would be much appreciated?

fuel lines and vapor seperator.jpg

Hey folks,

I have a 1987 FJ60 with a replaced fuel tank ('91), that was recently dropped and resealed ('19). I have read numerous threads on the issue, but can't seem to properly diagnose and solve my fuel leak problem.

Context: replaced after-market charcoal cannister 6 months ago, and recently had the Carb rebuilt and tuned by Iron Pig in Fredericksburg. Was still having issues with a rough idle, even with a twice rebuilt carb and fuel lines replaced, so swapped the in/out lines on the top of the charcoal cannister. Car is idling a bit higher now, but smooth as ever.

Problem: Even before the carb rebuild and the cannister fix and since, there was a strong smell of fuel inside the vehicle. Last week, I identified a fuel "leak" in the rear quarter panel where the vapor separator joins the tank at the interior wall. The leak is definitely occurring on the gas tank side of the vapor/ fuel connection (see the attached diagram. The connection in question is #46). That connector piece, #46, is new and non-rusted. After identifying the leak, I replaced all the hoses inside the panel that connect to the vapor separator.

Today, I noticed when I drove the truck from the cool garage to a shop and then to a restaurant- there was no fuel leakage and no fuel spillover on these lines or at the fuel connector part. However, after the truck sat in the sun, there was a steady stream of fuel leaking on the gas tank side of the fuel connector. i.e. leaking from the connection running from the gas tank to the fuel connector, NOT from the fuel separator back out and up towards the front of the vehicle. However, since that connector piece (#46) is bolted from the inside out, the leaking fuel was running, primarily down the inside wall and collecting inside the rear quarter panel- causing a massive stench in the vehicle.

Since there was no issue driving the car cold, this leads me to believe that I do NOT have a fuel spillover or fuel neck issue, although I have purchased an OEM cap. This leads me to believe what I have is a vapor problem--- the lines gathering the vapor off the tank cannot send the vapor into the vapor separator and thereby up to the front of the car. I know the vapor separator is supposed to run to the charcoal canister... have a gummed that up with the switch? Or maybe it was a bad charcoal cannister, I installed? Or maybe I have the lines to/from crossed?

I have no issue of the tell-tale "woosh" that comes from a vapor lock... so perhaps it is just some blocked lines into the fuel connector?

View attachment 2782648

The connection in question can be seen here: took this photo from another thread and it might be an FJ62, but the "fuel connector" seems to be the same and that is exactly where my leak is occurring - on this side of that part.

example.png

Gasoline expands greatly on a hot day. If you fill up in the morning, and the fuel expands on a hot afternoon into the separator, it should then flow towards the charcoal canister and not leak.

I used my air compressor to blow air through each line, but the one from the charcoal canister to the tank may blow fuel out the filler (cap off) so be careful.
I had clogs in the separator that I cleaned out with bailing wire in my drill.

Funny about chiming in with my $0.02.
I topped off my tank on the way home from work. Ran to the corner store a few hours later to get ice. When I ran out, noticed a gas smell, popped the hood to see gas bubbling out the purge from the charcoal canister. Started it up, problem went away.

I get home and open the gas cap and watch my fuel level slowly rise until it starts to overflow. I put the cap back on. Gasoline had filled my GM Charcoal canister and the purge line! I haven't had a problem with it for a year and a half, but four hours after chiming in.... Freaky karma! Lol. Anyhow, no leak in the quarter panel.

Funny about chiming in with my $0.02.
I topped off my tank on the way home from work. Ran to the corner store a few hours later to get ice. When I ran out, noticed a gas smell, popped the hood to see gas bubbling out the purge from the charcoal canister. Started it up, problem went away.

I get home and open the gas cap and watch my fuel level slowly rise until it starts to overflow. I put the cap back on. Gasoline had filled my GM Charcoal canister and the purge line! I haven't had a problem with it for a year and a half, but four hours after chiming in.... Freaky karma! Lol. Anyhow, no leak in the quarter panel.
Wow! Indeed some strange karma? Hopefully it's just an odd run cycle and not something systemic for you!

Thanks very much for the suggestion. Going to try each line one at a time disconnecting at the connector and blowing into the gas tank with compressed air (gas cap open) to make sure they are clear and connections are tight.

I should have double checked my after market charcoal cannister from cruiserparts before installation, but it seemed in good working order. I will likely be back for a replacement soon and would love to get your .02 on the cannister swap. There is a lot out there. I switched the lines in/out of mine and don't mind it running a little rich as the colder weather sets in,.

Hoping toto fix this vapor/ fuel leak issue downstream before having to go all the way back up front.

Thanks for the rec! I'll let you know how it goes.

Wow! Indeed some strange karma? Hopefully it's just an odd run cycle and not something systemic for you!

Thanks very much for the suggestion. Going to try each line one at a time disconnecting at the connector and blowing into the gas tank with compressed air (gas cap open) to make sure they are clear and connections are tight.

I should have double checked my after market charcoal cannister from cruiserparts before installation, but it seemed in good working order. I will likely be back for a replacement soon and would love to get your .02 on the cannister swap. There is a lot out there. I switched the lines in/out of mine and don't mind it running a little rich as the colder weather sets in,.

Hoping toto fix this vapor/ fuel leak issue downstream before having to go all the way back up front.

Thanks for the rec! I'll let you know how it goes.
From what I gather, this fuel pressure issue is the reason for the tank recall. The tank was not the real problem.

There is a valve that opens vac to purge the vapors from the canister. Pressure in the tank is supposed to vent to the canister. It's a common issue with these trucks. Many put vented fuel caps to remedy. Toyota didn't.. but they replaced fuel tanks because the stock canister failed. Or so I heard.
If you avoid filling your tank before you park, your problem may go away. Even 10 miles drains it about a gallon, that ought to be enough.

Hey folks,

View attachment 2782648

Curious

are u running a OEM toyota genuine parts factory GAS cap

or

aftermarket one ?

OEM LINK Example Below :

OEM Teq Stamped ones are 100% VENTED one way only , Inward NO exit Vents .....fyi

i have personally seen many many aftermarket pep boys walmart gas caps aftermarket cause issues like this , and a NEW OEM toyota genuine parts cap like below solve many too

its a low cost ZERO labor time solid starting point if infact u do not have a factory cap Teq LOGO stamped Exactly like u see below .....

No Teq NO Go !

Keep it Always 100% OEM and Keep It REAL :cool:

good luck :)

1631348017327.png

1631348046866.png

Hey @ToyotaMatt.

Thanks for the note.

So I think both the original and the replacement cap (that arrived today) are OEM original parts - factory stamped and bought under the 77310-12100 part number.

I purchased the new one from vintageTEqParts.com ... see below for photos of each. Do you think the TEqParts one is fraudulent/ not venting?

As you can see the rubber grommet was wearing thin on the original one...

Testing done today: I drove with both the new cap, the old cap, and no cap for each about 4-5 miles independently and was still getting the same fuel leaking affect... liquid fuel running down the inside and outside of the fuel/vapor connector plate.

I think I am zeroing in on some vapor clog/ pass through issue at the fuel connector plate. As you can see from the photo of my under-side, there is pretty clear residue from where there has been leakage, primarily on the right side of the fuel connector plate.

First photo is under the vehicle where you can see the residue from the fuel leak. Second and third are inside the quarter panel shooting up at the underside of the connector- sorry for the grainy quality. There is also fuel wetness inside of this panel as well as on the exterior.

Any thoughts?

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0?ui...690162&th=17bd64ec47586072&view=att&disp=safe

Fuel Cap over.jpg

Fuel Cap under.jpg

Fuel connector outside.jpg

Fuel connector inside1.jpg

Fuel connector inside2.jpg

Upon closer review - the stamp is on the opposite side of the handle weldings and the stamp does not look as deep... or am I just seeing things?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom