FJ60 buildup (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i'm building up a 87' FJ60 with a dana 60 front, 14-bolt rear and 40'' TSL's, would i need to get custom driveshafts and u-joints? and if so how much would that cost and were could i get them?
- also i'm gonna be running front and rear detroits, should i upgrade to hydro assist steering or will the stock steering hold up?

thank alot
-mark.

IMO, hydro assist with 40"ers is a near must. I'm doing it very soon with my 38.5's and a much lighter 40-series. http://www.westtexasoffroad.com is where my box got redone and where my ram is coming from. Next choice would be a Howe setup. I hear rumors that AGR has lost some quality control, so they would be off my personal list...

I run a Tom Woods front shaft (http://www.4xshaft.com) and a High Angle Driveline rear shaft (http://www.highangle.com) Both are good companies, as are quite a few others. Jesse at High angle has done some innovative projects in the past and gets high marks from lots of people.

I've got around $600+ in shafts alone...$400+ in the front longspline, $200+ in the rebuilt rear CV.

What t-case are you running? The 14-bolt is centered, so I assume a 205 case or something?!?

no it's actaully just the stock t-case, but i was hoping i could narrow the 14-bolt on one side, so it would be like the stock axle, or is that not possible... would a dana 70 or 80 work?
-thanx again
-mark

Looking to spend some cash...

I would look at gearbox options before going through the process of modifying a 14 bolt.

Good luck!

-Steve

alright thanks for your help, but i'm kinda new at this, what do you mean look at gearbox options, and how much would that cost me?

thanks again
-mark

Gearbox-Transmission and or transfer case.

Manual or auto?

What type of wheeling are you into, and what are your intentions for the use of this truck?

Rocks, mud, sand, snow, hills, ?? ??

Do you see yourself needing a very deep low range?

Do you intend on this thing seeing street time?

All of these things will add to the equasion...

it's a 4 speed manual

it's basically a trail rig... so it see's everything

occasionally i'll run paragon and tellico, and that would be the only time i would need low range, but it's mostly, hills, mud, stumps, rutted trails...

it see's very little road... the only time i drive it one the road is when i go 4 wheeling, but the local spot is 2 hours away and paragon is about 3 1/2- 4.

and in about 4 or 5 years when i get outta college it's gonna be a trailer queen, so it won't see any street

thanks
mark

are you planning to keep the 2F motor that's in there now?

IMO, 40" tires are about 4" too tall for a 2F, probably 6" too tall if you want highway performance.

Offsetting a rear axle is not cheap, and you'll have to narrow the front to match, making it even "not cheaper"....lol

For me, anytime mine leaves pavement/gravel, it's in low range. ...hate to say it, but with 40's and the 2F, you may get to run low in town too....

IF I were building the truck, my choice would be:
350 SBC, SM465 or 350 auto, 205 t-case, 14-bolt rear, D60 front, SOA on CCOT HFS stock-height springs. The 60 is a lot of rig, and you'll need some balls to move it around, and some suspension beef to keep it working well.

(honestly, the drivetrain from a 78-ish Chev 3/4 ton is the perfect all around doner for the whole project...just add springs and change driveshaft lengths)

alright, what about some 38'' tires and 5.13 gears.. or would you think 36'' tires would be a better choice?

thanks alot
mark

36" tires will be an "easy" fit with a SOA suspension, much easier than 38-40. with luck, you can borrow a set of tires once the axles are placed to see what hits/fits and what sawzall work you are willing to accept. 4:88-5:13 is a good choice too....

but, I'd still think thru that rear offset....

Check out some Chevy vans in the junkyards....IIRC, there are some 14-bolt rears out there that are "relatively" offset from the factory, at least more than most normal ones...might be enuf to work.

The fact that you have a 60 IS an advantage to the rear driveshaft, since the angles with a slightly offset diff and a very offset t-case are not as bad as wtih a 40 series.

well if i put a np 205, would that work perectly with a 14 bolt?
- i could pick one of those up for around $1000 right?

but then again... with 36's would i even need 1 ton running gear?

NP205 outta run ya $50-100...it's the adapting to the tranny that will get pricey...

I run 38's on "stock" gear now....stock t-case, stock/welded rear, EZ-lock front with stock inners and Longfields. However, my rig isn't a heavy 60 either. I know a couple doing D60/14 setups in their 55/60's cause the added weight made beef necessary, even with "only" 36" tires...

Yer on the right track, just make sure you spend TOO much time researching all the options...there are lots out there...

haha yea i'll spend plenty of time and money
but you mentioned a SM465 tranny... wouldn't an H55F or a NV4500 also be a good option, or do you just recommend the SM465?

IMO, for the price the SM465 gets my vote, but it is better suited for a primarily offroad rig. Find road tranny, only adequate in town.

SM465 = $50-150
NV4500 = $1000+
H55F is what, another $1k or more??

If you were driving on the road a LOT and not planning a trailer queen, then the two you mention are good. Since you state trailer down the road (couple years), the SM465 is IMO a better choice.

Plus, with your tires and gearing and 2F, you may never get the rig to a speed where the OD is required....I know I never do

350 TBI, SM465, 2.313 72 t-case, 4.11 stock diffs, 38.5 tires and in high gear 1:1 I'm around 2500rpm at 60. Very driveable.

yea that sounds like a better deal for me

so.. SM465 to a NP205 to tom woods driveshaft, to regular 14 bolt ( not modified) to 4.10 gears, detroit, to 36'' TSL?

so the SM465 would be around 100, 205 around 100, and how much would the adapter be to mate those?

Four speed.

How about an Atlas t-case??

Better than the 205 if you are swapping out the trans. Can get a thin adapter from Novak, and get the input on the Atlas 10 spline, and clock to your desired position, 1350 yokes at least, and then you would have something...

Just another avenue to spend cash...

Good luckl!

-Steve

so many choices...

atlas 2 would make for some sweeeet crawling.. i'll keep that in mind.

thanks for your help woody and poser , i really appriciate it

-mark

you should fine the SM465 and the 205 already mated...it was a VERY common combination. 205 is twinstickable for front wheel drive only, IIRC it's a 2:1 low range tho.

Atlas IS a suhweet case tho....but $$$$....but still sweet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom