Fj60 bad alternator? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1984 fj60. I’ve been chasing an electrical gremlin for the last few months. I noticed a 2-3 months back that my aftermarket radio and climate control fan would periodically shut off while driving, then turn back on. I also had a bout or two of a totally dead battery requiring a wall based recharge. Thinking it was the alternator, I removed the it and had it tested. Shop said it was fine, and didn’t charge me. Given that, I thought I might have a bad ground, so I replaced it and put in a new battery.

Then the igniter failed (tested per FSM). I replaced the igniter with the GM 4 prong unit and have been back on the road for the last 2-300 miles. Then, Finally I saw my dash volt meter was intermittently reading in excess of 16 volts, and that coincided with the radio and fan shutting off again. Assuming that was the volt meter, I got a NOS from Matt, and got it installed. Now my digital volt meter runs anywhere from 12.5-13.5. Then, for the last few days, the truck has been bucking under load at the end of a drive, usually after 15 minutes or so. RPMs drop and last night I even stalled after running at 60 mph for 20 min. Turning off the fan will buy me another mile or two, and if I let RPM drop to idle and sit for a bit, I’m back in business but only for a short time. The dash volt meter is in the same range during this time (I have a new fuel pump, new fuel filter).

Could this be the alternator? Any other ideas? Could intermittent charges at 16-17 volts murder my battery?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom