FJ60 altenator question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Driving in this morning I was beating on the steering wheel to favorite tunes when my FJ60 idled waaaaaaaay down, the charge light came on and she started spitting and sputtering ???

She likes to be petted. No beat.

With the engine running pull off a battery cable. A charging system will keep running without the batt.

Just don't do that very long, the alternator (if it is good) will max out and can go bad.

[quote author=Rice link=board=1;threadid=4499;start=msg33702#msg33702 date=1061469707]
She likes to be petted. No beat.

With the engine running pull off a battery cable. A charging system will keep running without the batt.
[/quote]

I know she hates it when I beat on her ;) ran well at lunch, maybe yesterdays fill up or the 95 degree temps got her feeling down (vapor lock, bad gas???) all is well at 211,000 miles - she's barely broken in :D

[quote author=73lndcrsr link=board=1;threadid=4499;start=msg33731#msg33731 date=1061478035]
Just don't do that very long, the alternator (if it is good) will max out and can go bad.
[/quote]

Without the battery the net draw on the alternator is less, not more. Otherwise the battery wouldn't be getting a charge.

The load is less, but the alternator sees it as an open and will try to compensate. I did this and measured significant increases in voltage and current output from the alternator. A mechanic buddy told me about the issue, so I hope I have my facts straight. My alternator ended up being good, I had other issues. IIRC bad/correded connections.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom