FJ43 Front Door Vent Window Handle Rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My wing vent window latch handles were very loose so I decided to clean them up and add some new washers and springs. My local Ace Hardware had everything needed.

I clean and repainted the vent window frame and added some neoprene washers (two outside and one inside) between the frame and glass to pull the handle closer to the frame. This made it latch a lot tighter which stopped any leaking around the vent window.

I replace the flat washer and nut with a new m12-1.25 nut and washer

I used my Dremel tool to polish the main bolt and inside the handles.

I replace the lock button spring and the handle retainer pins.

When reinstalling, I made sure to flip the bolts so that the handle retainer pin did not run in the worn side of the bolt slot.

5AE2E71B-F7E8-43A7-818F-F04555195A79.jpeg

7D4C5515-65E2-4731-89F9-BCCD5E68D3DB.jpeg

36CFD2A2-7209-451E-9EC1-6F131CEBBD59.jpeg

13B699E5-E3D2-4CCD-AFA6-08F79DF23765.jpeg

Once the bolt, washers and nut were reinstalled, I greased end of the bolt, button, spring, and handle real good before reinstalled them and the lock pin

My wing vent window latch handles were very loose so I decided to clean them up and add some new washers and springs. My local Ace Hardware had everything needed.

I clean and repainted the vent window frame and added some neoprene washers (two outside and one inside) between the frame and glass to pull the handle closer to the frame. This made it latch a lot tighter which stopped any leaking around the vent window.

When reinstalling, I made sure to flip the bolts so that the handle retainer pin did not run in the worn side of the bolt slot.

View attachment 2253514

View attachment 2253515

View attachment 2253516

View attachment 2253517
Correction to the previous, I replaced the outermost neoprene washer with a m12 stainless metal washer. The reason was that the neoprene washers were squeezing out from behind of the frame piece. Using the metal washer prevented this from happening.

Best part is the window closes "tight tight" and does not leak anymore.

While I was at it, I also popped off the door panel and tighten the vent window bottom pivot shaft bolt so the wind doesn't move the window when open.

Last edited:
I know this is an old post, but would love to know where you got the felt and rubber seals for the windows... I have the same setup

@jmac3 Pretty sure Mr. T still sells the felt?

Several vendors have the gaskets (here’s 2 of the many).

E6ADEF22-CF60-41D4-A61D-AB6354365EA4.jpeg

Last edited:

View attachment 2253514

View attachment 2253515

View attachment 2253516

View attachment 2253517
Good job. I have put a lot of miles on my 40 with a match book jammed in place on drivers side wing to stop the wind whistle. Always been reluctant to take the latch apart in fear of making things worse or out and out breaking it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom