FJ40 not downshifting into 2nd gear. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I picked up a 1979 FJ40 with a 4 speed manual a couple years back and almost done making it road worthy. It still has a couple issues that I haven't been able to resolve however. One is that when driving, it won't downshift into second gear (it grinds rather than going into gear). I guess that the synchromesh is wore out? Any suggestions for repairing this? Procedure and/or where to get parts? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Start with adjusting you clutch to make sure it's disengaging completely.

Once you're sure about the clutch, pull the tranny hump and trans top cover to inspect the trans.

Start with adjusting you clutch to make sure it's disengaging completely.

Once you're sure about the clutch, pull the tranny hump and trans top cover to inspect the trans.

Not possible after 1/79. Those the hump is part of the tub and only an inspection cover that doesn't allow the transmission top cover to be inspected.

pulling the transmission top cover in the vehicle would be kinda pointless anyways I
since coming out of the truck regardless if it has a internal issue.

pulling the transmission top cover in the vehicle would be kinda pointless anyways I
since coming out of the truck regardless if it has a internal issue.

What's the cost to rebuild a four speed? Between parts and labor might be worth finding a good used one. Besides inspecting the inside of a used would inspect the tailshaft. 16 spline tyailshafts are known to wear. Those get a gear slap every time you let off the gas. This why buying a transmission and transfer together is not necessary a good thing. Only way to inspect the tailshaft is with the transfer case removed.

Can you match engine rpm to ground speed like you would shifting a transmission with no synchro or how you'd shift with no clutch?

I'm assuming it will go until gear when stationary with the engine off?

My guess is the synchros are tired.

Not possible after 1/79. Those the hump is part of the tub and only an inspection cover that doesn't allow the transmission top cover to be inspected.
I guess this answers the second suggestion anyway.
I realize the trans would likely be coming out if the clutch was confirmed as not the issue, but since you would have to pull the hump (pre 1/79) to do it, I would take a few minutes to pull the cover to inspect anyway. If it all looked nice, is in synchros were fine, etc. I would stop to make sure I wasn't pulling the trans unnecessarily.

Can you match engine rpm to ground speed like you would shifting a transmission with no synchro or how you'd shift with no clutch?

I'm assuming it will go until gear when stationary with the engine off?

My guess is the synchros are tired.
I have gotten it into second while downshifting, it is just really tough and most of the time it grinds. Goes into gear no problem while shifting up from first, or if the vehicle is off. I will check the adjustment on the clutch though, maybe that will do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom