FJ40, J30 3-Speed 3rd Gear Grind? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You've got a 3 speed gearbox and hopefully the 3 speed bell housing but you've got the later preasure plate clutch and hopefully again, the later flywheel.
With such a mish mash of bits there, I'd be looking at what the thrust bearing and slave cylinder are doing...

Gaz..

For the market this isn't a mix match cruiser. The three speed was used into 1982 in some markets. The pressure plate and clutch are correct for the year. Not sure if flywheel from a early year would work at all with pressure plate. As for bellhousing the three and fours speeds are so different no way those could be mixed up without it being obvious. Many parts of the world these were delivered as a basic stripped work vehicles with no frills. Three speed is a much simpler transmission to work on compared to the four speed. Electronic ignition while better than the old points distributor isn't as easy to repair in the middle of nowhere. Toyota had to make concessions in some markets like import is as a kit. Or certain percentage made locally. Probably easier to do than the US where had to meet ever changing safety and emissions rules. Plus having the big three doing everything they could to make harder for foreign auto makers to sell vehicles here.

The bell housing is for a 3-speed.Yes, flywheel is #13451-60060 for 4 speed. Here is a look with cover off. Bearing spins and looks new.
View attachment 2372723
Uploaded a video of the clutch fork throw out bearing. Is there a specific measurement for the correct distance? Was not able to find one in FSM.

Last edited:
Uploaded a video of the clutch fork throw out bearing. Is there a specific measurement for the correct distance? Was not able to find one in FSM.

Apparently, the only measurements in FSM is pedal play and clutch fork play as shown. Also, I’ve decided to drop the existing 3 speed transmission to repair the bearing #33131-61010 and seal #90311-28004 myself. Since this setup was original to this Colombian truck, I’m keeping it as is for the rest of the summer and will change to H42 over winter. A little Intermittent grind is tolerable.
1A26B2D8-BD00-417A-BDC2-F54E18307683.jpeg

No longer having 3rd gear grind. After bleeding and readjusting slave free play at fork, the truck is shifting well from first to second to third on take off. However, now when downshifting to second, it grinds. I’ve attempted the down shift at slow speed and it still grinds. Will need to master the double clutch to downshift but wondering if this is just second gear syncro that is worn. Image below:
FF6291B2-4CA8-4BF2-9DB8-2A9EB7A03FF5.jpeg

I took video of the pressure plate and friction disc and noticed with motor off when clutch is disengaged, the friction disk is moving when running through gears. I assume this is normal as the gears engage with input shaft it moves. In the first 5 seconds of video, look at friction disc move. Can someone confirm this is normal?

0A6ACFD4-9F45-4204-B6ED-AC9F383BEAB3.jpeg

Thanks for the explanation and details on the shift arm variances. Yes, it works. The shudder is only when releasing clutch in first gear to get rolling. When it is cool, no shudder. Only once it reaches operating temp does it shudder.

With razor thin margins on these imported trucks and after discovering many old parts installed, I’m convinced the clutch is not new. The flywheel is #13451-60060 Below are images.
View attachment 2370661

View attachment 2370662
if anyone has the schematic of the proper Hi/Low 4WD shift linkages for 3 speed that would be helpful. Below is what I found here but there are 5 different schemes so not sure which one to use when I get this out of truck.
View attachment 2370674
It could be clutch chatter. When the clutch was replaced, the flywheel was not turned to get a flat square surface.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom