Fj40 headers? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, Can't seem to find fj40 headers in stainless? Desmoging the 1979 now. Any suggestions ? Thanks,Mike

I have a set of unknown brand. I think either JToutfitters or old Man-a-fre. A common problem that I have heard and personally ran into is the differences in the flange thicknesses between the intake and exhaust when you bolt them up. I have still been left scratching my head at all the exhaust and intake leaks at the gasket, not to mention that the gasket at the beginning of the exhaust piping always blows out. I wish someone would build something that could bolt up and not leak without using half washers or other methods. a support bracket for the heavier 6 to 1 style headers would probably aid in those problems as well.

I've been curious as to how well the new Man-a-fre style two-three headers bolt up and how well they flow

I have a set of unknown brand. I think either JToutfitters or old Man-a-fre. A common problem that I have heard and personally ran into is the differences in the flange thicknesses between the intake and exhaust when you bolt them up. I have still been left scratching my head at all the exhaust and intake leaks at the gasket, not to mention that the gasket at the beginning of the exhaust piping always blows out. I wish someone would build something that could bolt up and not leak without using half washers or other methods. a support bracket for the heavier 6 to 1 style headers would probably aid in those problems as well.

I've been curious as to how well the new Man-a-fre style two-three headers bolt up and how well they flow

there was a perfect set of headers, once...marks offroad, improved downey headers, awesome headers..but they have been in suspended production for some time.

Most of what I see is of poor quality and I'm sure would leak after little time. The way they are made they can't handle the heat. I make enough custom things I really don't want to make headers. Mike

I'm thinking 304 stainless, 3/8 or 1/2 laser cut flange. Two collectors at the bottom. Mike

I have the new MAF headers. They bolted up exactly, no need for half washers and looked terrific. Sadly the ceramic coating started to fail within 6 or so months and MAF referred me to the coater. Their solution was to return the headers back to them, at my expense, they would recoat at their expense with no further warranty, and return to me at my expense. I declined, the coating failed and they should have honored their warranty and work. MAF stayed out of the discussion and was no help at all. The down pipe that was supposed to bolt up to the headers was short on one pipe by 3/4" which required having the pipe removed and rebuilt so it would fit. Even if the lengths were correct, one flange from the headers was hitting one pipe and would have kept it from fitting. Add to that had the down pipe actually fit it was aimed towards the center of the frame.

Had I known this I would most likely spent the extra $'s and purchased from SOR.

If I had a stock manifold, I would have kept that. My rig came with a rusted header. I bought the JT header after a lot of looking around. The quality is fair at best. Before I installed it I had it machined with the intake to the same height. I also replaced the studs and used bolts. As suggested by @Downey I used brush on copper coat on both sides of the gasket. 3K miles and it seems to be holding up pretty well. The machining is the key, as it was not close to flat.

If I had a stock manifold, I would have kept that. My rig came with a rusted header. I bought the JT header after a lot of looking around. The quality is fair at best. Before I installed it I had it machined with the intake to the same height. I also replaced the studs and used bolts. As suggested by @Downey I used brush on copper coat on both sides of the gasket. 3K miles and it seems to be holding up pretty well. The machining is the key, as it was not close to flat.

My JT header is at the machinist as I type this. The half washer fix seemed like it would allow movement and leak.

making your own seems like a lot of work for little gain.

there was a guy in the 60 forum who installed a 3FE exhaust on a 2F head. my search guesses aren't working.

(1) If ceramic coating is not the same thickness throughout the Header, it will fail. Downey used a ceramic coater who coated to military spec (same thickness throughout, did not get hot spots).
(2) Paint-on Copper Coat painted onto all four surfaces (Head, Header, and both sides of the gasket) seals every time. Copper Coat is lacquer based, bakes-on with heat, doesn't run out like water. Spray-on is watered down to get out spray nozzle, don't use it.
(3) If there were only one Header manufacturer for Landcruiser Headers, then Marks Off Road could bring back the Downey Header that everyone loves. Problem is the market is too small to support multiple suppliers, quantity per order is the problem.

I agree the header market for F and 2F engines for FJ40's might be a small market. If it is so small then why are SOR, MAF/BTB and JTO still selling headers? There must be enough demand to keep these offered.

When I am finished renovating the new offices and reorganizing the shop, I will see where I stand space-wise and finances to evaluate this project again. Not before. All the time I took the lead on this, I had the use of the warehouse I no longer have. Storing a full production run of these takes room I do not currently have.

Candidly, I am also not comfortable with the changing dynamics of the marketplace.

making your own seems like a lot of work for little gain.

there was a guy in the 60 forum who installed a 3FE exhaust on a 2F head. my search guesses aren't working.

Kinda like this?

4L0rAXLJT92W5T1FGy8D965XvOfFVCvp36cFdpdToj_zApE3YWVFPYkHAFXge-6tuj_MQeMJgOZj6dPWEHZw2KIXcDnISmFlp9tKNkPQ_NAf2ADBidIZYZ_3dMiAXuTq48j88g

This is on an F engine. It works great. However, you have to machine down the 3F manifolds, since the flanges are much thicker than the F intake manifold. But, you really should machine any manifold or header to match the intake. I'm very happy with the outcome, and being cast iron, I'm not worried about them warping and leaking like my old SOR header that I was constantly fighting with.

:cheers:

I agree the header market for F and 2F engines for FJ40's might be a small market. If it is so small then why are SOR, MAF/BTB and JTO still selling headers? There must be enough demand to keep these offered.
Nothing at all against the companies you referenced, but those are smaller companies who have evidently found small Header manufacturers who are willing to work with their small quantities. At Downey we never had that luxury because we sold more Headers than all those companies combined, and unfortunately Downey's original Header supplier is not willing to work a better "quantity" deal for Mark. Downey Headers are more labor intense than other designs, consequently suppliers are not willing to build smaller quantities- - -I hope this problem does not continue to plague Mark, even after he regains his warehouse capacity..

Would be nice to see a better quality of header available.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom