FJ40 Dash switches / electrical wizardry info needed!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all!! My 1966 40 series has been completely toggled out by the previous owner, including lights and wipers. They work, but it is not very nice to look at. I have been searching for info on the headlight switch and the wiper switch for 1966- both are hard to source- definitely not still available. I was wanting to use the Toyota switches from the 68-71 which are still available new, and just play with the knobs to suit my build. I have located a GM style light switch that would work fine, but hey, it's a Toyota....

My questions are:
- does anyone know the amperage required for the early years dual-motor wipers? My manual doesn't go that deep. And would the 68 switch be up to the task?
- Same for the headlight switch. I have done the Koito headlight upgrade and am very happy with that. The wiring harness for them has relays to allow for the greater wattage of the bulbs leads me to believe that the 68 switch would work fine for this. I'll be buying some Auto Meter Prestige Black Diamond gauges to fill out the dash. Love them. They won't dim with any switch not intended for LED lights, so that isn't a concern. I'll buy their specific dimmer for that.

On a side note, does anyone know who makes the JT Outfitters wiring harness? At the moment, I'm split between their wiring harness and the American Autowire.

The full wiring harness and dash re-do is awaiting warmer weather as I don't have a garage that will fit the FJ, so I'll post that up when I start. Just gathering up parts now.

Thanks!!!

I just rebuilt the dual motor wipers on my '66, so I can help you with that. With new grease in the gearbox and freshly turned shafts, each motor draws around 1.5A. With the old crusty grease and corroded shafts, the load on the motor is likely higher and therefor the current will be higher, but likely less than 5A for the pair.

I just rebuilt the dual motor wipers on my '66, so I can help you with that. With new grease in the gearbox and freshly turned shafts, each motor draws around 1.5A. With the old crusty grease and corroded shafts, the load on the motor is likely higher and therefor the current will be higher, but likely less than 5A for the pair.
45inCO, Thanks for that!! Are you using the OEM switch still? I plan on going through them. Any additional info on that is helpful. Any pics of when you turned the shaft? Curious what you mean by that. I have a lathe but that may not be the direction you're talking about.

Thx.

I am using the OEM switch. I just recently bought this FJ45, and the wipers would try to turn, but would bog down and stall. I pulled them out and following some guidance from this forum, disassembled, cleaned and re-greased the motors and gear box. The gear box was full of 55 year old hardened grease, but the main issue was the shaft that went through the windscreen frame - it was corroded and didn't turn smoothly in the sleeve. I popped the shafts in the lathe and polished them up and reinstalled with new lubricant, and now the motors work beautifully. The wipers on the other hand are marginal at best, but I think that is their original state of being.

I did also find a less expensive source for compatible and period correct wiper blades:

1/4 the price of the dealer, and equally ineffective.

I am using the OEM switch. I just recently bought this FJ45, and the wipers would try to turn, but would bog down and stall. I pulled them out and following some guidance from this forum, disassembled, cleaned and re-greased the motors and gear box. The gear box was full of 55 year old hardened grease, but the main issue was the shaft that went through the windscreen frame - it was corroded and didn't turn smoothly in the sleeve. I popped the shafts in the lathe and polished them up and reinstalled with new lubricant, and now the motors work beautifully. The wipers on the other hand are marginal at best, but I think that is their original state of being.

I did also find a less expensive source for compatible and period correct wiper blades:

1/4 the price of the dealer, and equally ineffective.
Ha, yeah they are not super effective. This says it all: "1/4 the price of the dealer, and equally ineffective". I went with the SOR more modern ones and they work better for sure. Mine is a more a resto-mod so not as concerned with "period correct" on everything. My truck is a daily driver and we get snow, so wipers need to sorta function. Thanks for the wiper blade tip though. I could have used that one a few months back!!! Looking forward to getting into those motors and spiffing them up a bit. Did you just use scotchbrite or the like to polish the shafts on the lathe? That usually works well. Did you find a recommendation for what type of grease to use? I am balls deep in that rabbit hole for drive shaft and suspension stuff. I have some good quality lithium grease for my lathe that may work fine. Manufacturers do have specs on the greases they use, it's just hard to find sometimes.

Thanks for the reply!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom