FJ25 front axle knuckle question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've done the searching, looked at builds, read the disc brake conversion writeups, peered over the archives, and studied my service manuals. Toyota has never published knuckle ball or knuckle dimensions/specs . The two outfits currently manufacturing knuckle balls (or bells) don't share any info either. BTW, in Toyoda speak, they are neither balls nor bells, but Front Drive Ball Joint CASES, and the early ones had their own part number, although they were part of an assembly and not available separately. The 40/50/60/70 series all have the same 1deg of camber and 9deg30min of king pin inclination, but there is some variance in caster.

The question: are FJ25 knuckle balls the same dimensionally as the 40/50/60/70/minitruck series versions, and has anyone ever used FJ25 knuckle balls with a disc brake conversion, as in--will a 40/50/60/70/minitruck series disc-type knuckle properly fit a FJ25 knuckle ball?

I am going to go out on a limb and say yes the ball (case) is the same. I had a 59 that had the front knuckles switched to 40 knuckles to convert the steering (even though that really wasn't necessary). I only knew this because the 25 knuckles and steering came with the truck. The 25 spindles and what not bolt up to later knuckle housings, the wipers retainers and stuff from a 40 seem to be the same size and can be made to fit the 25 knuckle housing.

I've never gone with 40 stuff on a 25 housing, but have used a 40 housing / knuckles spindles with 25 brakes. I just had to have that big steering, birfields but mostly to use the custom driveshaft on hand that was 40 on end and 25 on the other. :hillbilly:

I think where you may run into issues is if you use the 25 housing you may need to do some work with the bushing and or seal to run a different inner axle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom