FJ 62 Transfer Case - Hands-on Help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Unfortunately I can't take on any work right now :frown:

It appears the mechanic doing the job didn't take all the inside bolts out. There's one behind the gear cluster. The transfer case has to be disassembled while in the vehicle first before the front part of the case can be unbolted. There is nothing but a paper gasket between the transmission and the transfer case and nothing that would prevent the transfer case from separating from the transmission.

It's a one day job. Only problem is, once you get it apart and you discover that the idler shaft is pitted and worn (common), you might have to wait a few days for the part to arrive from the dealer.

Sorry I don't know any local Cruiser mechanics.

PM Deo in Gainesville. He is "Mel Lowe" here on IH8MUD
He might take the job on.

Thanks for the info Steve.
I've ordered the rebuild kit from cruiser outfitters and it has the idler shaft included.
I seem to remember reading something on here about shims or something that also might be needed, but not always. Do you have any insight on that?

Thanks again

I'll call Luis tonight... I owe him a call anyway.

And oh, is this case anything like the 80's transfer case? If so, we'll need a few dozen sets of snap ring pliers. Hah!

Keith - I just got off the phone w/Luis and gave him your # so you can explain what's going on. If I'm available I'll join the pit crew... heh.

Or maybe I'll just bring beer and watch this time!

-Carter

Keith - I just got off the phone w/Luis and gave him your # so you can explain what's going on. If I'm available I'll join the pit crew... heh.

Or maybe I'll just bring beer and watch this time!

-Carter

Thanks Carter!
I'll wait to hear from Luis.

Luis is a little closer to me than Tampa, I will try to make it either way. I won't be able to make it early Oct, but please don't let that be a factor... :) Once you get it apart you will see how easy it is to put back together.

I seem to remember reading something on here about shims or something that also might be needed, but not always. Do you have any insight on that?

Probably thrust washers. I personally haven't seen any wear out. I do have a spare in the event you'll need one. I'll either try to bring it or send it with someone.

I know I promised to have a tech session at my house this year. I somehow got stuck in a role as a care giver for an ailing friend. It has taken most of my free time. The situation could change at any time though. I'll try to make it happen if something changes.
Would anyone drive over to St Pete for a tech session?

Good call on the Cruiser Outfitter parts. They are the ONLY US supplier that has the idler shaft and parts like that. You probably won't need the bearings. Even if you don't use the bearings, you didn't pay any more for the kit than you would have paid at the dealer for just the idler shaft, gaskets, stake nuts and bearings.

When you get the kit, see if there's a double lip seal in there. If there is one it's the main input seal. If there isn't, it's worth it to get an upgraded double lip seal. I have more info for you if you don't see the double lip seal.

Steve

When you get the kit, see if there's a double lip seal in there. If there is one it's the main input seal. If there isn't, it's worth it to get an upgraded double lip seal. I have more info for you if you don't see the double lip seal.

Steve

Here r some pics of the seals (both sides) and then everything else that was in the box from cruiser outfitters.

I can't tell if its double lip or not by looking at it.
If you can tell, let me know and I'll get a double lip if its not.

IMAG0374.jpg

IMAG0375.jpg

IMAG0376.jpg

I know I promised to have a tech session at my house this year. I somehow got stuck in a role as a care giver for an ailing friend. It has taken most of my free time. The situation could change at any time though. I'll try to make it happen if something changes.
Would anyone drive over to St Pete for a tech session?

Steve

Absolutely - count me in!

You are good on the seal. It is the newer updated double seal.

The kit also has new thrust washers :clap:

If I am in state I will head over.

Hope everything works out for you and your friend.

I talked to Luis today

Luis called today and we talked about the transfer case rebuild project.

Luis is currently working on a couple projects but will call me next week to hopefully schedule this.

He works full time and has Fridays and Saturdays off. So the plan is for me to take it to Orlando (where he lives) on Friday morning and begin the disassembly. And then spend Saturday rebuilding and reassembling.

So when I hear from Luis next week with the dates he is available I'll post an update for anyone interested in assisting, watching, etc.

Thanks to all for putting me in touch with Luis!

You actually have good timing - he's just getting another project 40 out of his garage that's been there for what - 6-8 months I think?

So that one's out, let's him have the garage clean for you. Not that we'd probably care even if we were working in the yard, but it IS nicer working on concrete!

Looking forward to meeting some new faces if I'm in town that day!

I've got to empty this damned in box sometime, but for the time being, when you have a firm date, please let me know, either by email or phone (you have my number).

Friday's are generally pretty ugly for me, but I'll do what I can to make it to O-town for the repair/reassembly day at least:beer:

OD

Same question as above. Over the phone I asked SOR for the seal between the xfer case and tranny. Seal came in today after I had read about the double lip seal. Here is what I got:

10609682_10100263344972083_6910717593357804423_n.jpg

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom