FJ-62 Horn problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1989 FJ-62 and a horn that does not work. From what I can tell, the point of contact (which looks like the tip of a pen) is not making contact with the ring. Anybody else have this problem. If so, what are the general steps to getting it fixed, necessary parts, etc. Thanks.

You can use thin shims or washers to space the brass ring out to make contact with that pin again. Or you can purchase a new pin from Toyota.

Try spacing it out first.

Take some 220-400 grit paper to the brass ring and contact aswell. I put some dielectric grease on the ring too so I coudl beep at ashholes while I'm turning!

I just went through the exact same thing. Like Doc said, I used a small flat washer on each of the screws (I think there were four total). I also cleaned the contacts, while it was apart, and applied a small amount of dielectric tune up grease (like Fearnofish! said). Horn worked great after that.

Last edited:
You folks are really great for the quick replies. I am real new to this whole landcruiser thing. How far down do I have to go as far as taking the steering wheel/column apart? I have taken it down to the point where I think I need a puller to remove the wheel. Do I have to take the plastic parts off the column? I did this one other time and it was simple, but getting the screws started on re-assembly was not real fun. Again, thanks.

You don't need a puller for the wheel.

Take the center emblem thingy off and you can reach the retaining nut with an extention. Take the nut off, then put it back on 2-3 turns. Whack the steering wheel really good with something at 12,3, 6, and 9 oclock, remove the nut and the wheel should come right off. No problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom