FJ 60. Is the vsv necessary for AC operation? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My son's FJ 60 has the updated Weber carb and header. The vacuum idle advance vsv mechanism has been removed. The AC compressor won't engage unless jumped directly to power. Is the vsv necessary to engage the compressor? We have converted to a134, replaced the condenser, dryer, low pressure switch and used new orings. The system took nearly 20oz of freon but pressures sit at 25 low and 22 high @70 degrees. Jumping the compressor doesn't change this much. Could the problem be the amplifier? Can a compressor be bad even though it engages when jumped?

Thanks in advance for any help here. I'm my son's research dawg as I'm retired.

please see this post: AC idle up issue

The engine speed needs to exceed a minimum RPM or the compressor won't kick in. This is controlled by the AC amplifier. You might be able to low that speed threashold, but you may experience the engine bogging or stalling when the compressor is running.

I suppose if you can tolerate the the compressor being OFF when the engine is idling, it should turn on now once the RMPs exceed the threshold (probably around 1000 RPM). So the compressor should work when moving/driving, just not a stop lights.

I had to modify the ac amplifier on the 60 i am working on it had been desmoged has a weber carburetor and also has an aftermarket distributor the amplifier id designed to see rpm but in my case it doesn't because all the aftermarket distributor so i cut a resistor out of the ac amplifier this is also what needs to be done for ls swaps this picture stole from here on mud

Screenshot_20190222-152724.png

I had to modify the ac amplifier on the 60 i am working on it had been desmoged has a weber carburetor and also has an aftermarket distributor the amplifier id designed to see rpm but in my case it doesn't because all the aftermarket distributor so i cut a resistor out of the ac amplifier this is also what needs to be done for ls swaps this picture stole from here on mud

View attachment 2365285
Excellent info! Thanks

You should probably try adjusting the blue knob on the amplifier before cutting out the resistor. If you still have the stock distributor, you may be able to adjust the minimum RPM to your idle speed.

You should probably try adjusting the blue knob on the amplifier before cutting out the resistor. If you still have the stock distributor, you may be able to adjust the minimum RPM to your idle speed.
No stock distributor, updated before purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom