FJ 1KD swap, done (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
HI All,
Ive got a 2012 Fj and have been running a 1KD after blowing the 1GR a couple of year ago.

Engine is a 2012 1kd ex 150 prado using the prado bellhousing and torque converter / flexplate. Engine sits on modified stock mounts and sits right where it should for oil pan / fan / firewall clearance etc
I had to move the trans back 110mm or so due to the longer bellhousing so just modified the stock trans crossmember.

I sent my engine wiring harness and the 1KD harness to Dieseltoys in Australia for modification and ECU unlocking etc , Ive done 30,000 ks or so since the swap and it a good thing, better mileage, more torque, no one else has one etc

20171006_125118.jpg

IMG_20210619_195432.jpg

here it is after a couple of years, no cleaning, general day to day driving etc

The main purpose of this thread is to share some warnings and of the issues Ive had and hopefully get some fixes.

Installing the engine was easy enough, the harness took 6 weeks or so and after a bit of messing around I got it running.

First issues were VSC / ABS warnings ( still not resolved ) Dieseltoys have long ago stopped answering my emails on this , and temp and RPM signals werent working, the later was sorted with s DT supplied CANBUS translator, but installing this meant my OBDII port stopped working for some reason ( still not resolved )

Trans control was an issue, I found out the hard way. I was advised to run the 150 prado standalone TCM, what I didnt realise was that the TC lockup wasnt functioning, nor the temp light ( I assume due CANBUS interface issues ). The trans wasnt shifting right so at DTs advice I tried a 120 prado TCM. Better shifting but again no lockup or temp warning, end result a fried trans.

SO I got the trans rebuilt and installed an HGM compushift standalone controller, a great piece of kit but their lack of and often contradictory install instructions along with below average tech support means I wont be buying from them again.

SO its a good swap, and close to sorted but I see DT in OZ are advertising complete problem free conversion kits, I would be very weary.

Any CANBUS wizards who may be able to help with this would be much appreciated

Impressive!

The main purpose of this thread is to share some warnings and of the issues Ive had and hopefully get some fixes.

Installing the engine was easy enough, the harness took 6 weeks or so and after a bit of messing around I got it running.

First issues were VSC / ABS warnings ( still not resolved ) Dieseltoys have long ago stopped answering my emails on this , and temp and RPM signals werent working, the later was sorted with s DT supplied CANBUS translator, but installing this meant my OBDII port stopped working for some reason ( still not resolved )

Trans control was an issue, I found out the hard way. I was advised to run the 150 prado standalone TCM, what I didnt realise was that the TC lockup wasnt functioning, nor the temp light ( I assume due CANBUS interface issues ). The trans wasnt shifting right so at DTs advice I tried a 120 prado TCM. Better shifting but again no lockup or temp warning, end result a fried trans.

SO I got the trans rebuilt and installed an HGM compushift standalone controller, a great piece of kit but their lack of and often contradictory install instructions along with below average tech support means I wont be buying from them again.

SO its a good swap, and close to sorted but I see DT in OZ are advertising complete problem free conversion kits, I would be very weary.

Any CANBUS wizards who may be able to help with this would be much appreciated
i'm keen to know how your wiring works. the thing to make it correctly that the best is if ur able to get whole wiring for the engine and transmission together.
cause the original auto ecu does have wires connect to the abs module together with the transmission with the 4wd transfer. still although it is a 150 prado harness, there are serveral models regarding this engine. rpm will not work correctly as the counter & pulse between petrol and diesel are different. i'm not sure if u can get a good tech with remap tools such as kess tech that "maybe" able to correct the parameters. otherwise try to call cori from KRAE kaiapoi, couldnt promise that will work but give a try.

Nice work. I've had not good experience(s) with HGR as well. I would not recommend them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom