First weld bead, ever. Thoughts? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey folks. So, I've just run my first bead with my oxyacetylene torch. I've never welded anything before. It appears to be rather "undercut" - I mean the edges of the two plates seem to dip into the weld, instead of the weld being proud of the surrounding metal. What likely caused this? Any other comments? Thanks.
P6040023.jpg
P6040025.jpg

Prety darn good for the first try. You have a nice straight and even bead, which shows you have a good "hand". The flame might have been a little too lean judging from its oxidized appearance. Undercut in OA welding comes from not controlling the flame and not watching the puddle carefully. You needed a little tighter circle and more filler at the end.

Good stuff. Thanks, Pin_Head! I'll keep that in mind for next time. By the way, for leaning out the flame, do I want to reduce Oxygen PSI, flow (i.e. have a bit more feather in the flame) or both? Thanks a lot!

Less oxygen. For typical welding, the O2 pressure is twice that of acetylene. Add O2 just until the yellow cone disappears for a neutral flame. The only thing I ever welded for a living was muffler tube and it was all OA back then.

Bombproof, If you can weld your 1st bead with Oxy like that you are a Natural buy a nice tig or mig machine but dont give up on the Oxy that looks great ,and its a Dieing breed of welders that know how.

Thanks Bob.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom