First time to Freeman Park (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey guys - this was an amazing trip. Thanks for the advice. We stayed at a condo two blocks from the entrance, so we were able to have breakfast, drive out, chill, and drive back without any concerns.
I opted for 4low and didn't air down and didn't have a single issue. In fact, we decided that any future trip to the beach will be required to be somewhere we can drive out. There's nothing better than driving to your spot, opening the back, pulling chairs out and leaving everything else in the back.
Does anyone do any day trips?
-D

That's the ONLY way to do it!!!

I've never camped on the beach, but have a hard time processing through it....The constant wind; sand everywhere; not sure how to manage it.

The wind is primarily driven by air over land heating faster than that over the water. That air goes up and the cooler air over the ocean comes rushing on shore to fill the void. As things cool off in the evening, this temperature differential is minimized and the wind (typically) calms down a bit.
Sand is...well...sand is sand.

I've camped at Carolina Beach before, but sleeping in Moonshine, so the wind wasn't a concern other than the noise.

A year after Portsmouth and I am still finding sand in my stuff. The wind broke a tent pole on first night until I figured out why people camped below the dunes.... Then it was bliss.

57724877.jpg

The wind has never been bad except for the one time I went camping with the guys. As the sun started to set, we saw a storm off in the distance. We were drunk and convinced ourselves that it wasn't heading towards us. After the sun went down, we were hanging out by the firepit when all of the sudden we were hit with gusting winds and heavy sideways rain. My 12x14 canopy immediately lifted up and flew into the dunes. We were scrambling to hold anything down that we could. My hammock was snapping at me like a bullwhip, food on the tables was flying off into the sand, tents were collasping, and the guys were hanging onto the 2nd canopy to prevent it from flying away. The blowing rain was so strong it was stinging my skin and made it difficult to see. Almost as quickly as the storm started it ended. We were completely beat and everyone's clothes were soaked to the bone. The temperature behind the storm was 20 degrees cooler and we had nothing dry to put on. One tent had 8 inches of water on one side. We were defeated. We packed up the Cruiser with the wet gear and headed home at 1 in the morning.

when all of the sudden we were hit with gusting winds and heavy sideways rain. My 12x14 canopy immediately lifted up and flew into the dunes. We were scrambling to hold anything down that we could. My hammock was snapping at me like a bullwhip, food on the tables was flying off into the sand, tents were collasping, and the guys were hanging onto the 2nd canopy to prevent it from flying away. The blowing rain was so strong it was stinging my skin and made it difficult to see. One tent had 8 inches of water on one side. We were defeated. We packed up the Cruiser with the wet gear and headed home at 1 in the morning.

In Puerto Rico, where I grew up, they call that Tuesday :cheers: Seriusly, I would have left too, you got recognize the "email from mother nature" reminding you she is still in charge.

Never been to Freeman Park but looking forward to. Is it safe to camp there with your wife and two kids? Or should I get more people involved?

Never been to Freeman Park but looking forward to. Is it safe to camp there with your wife and two kids? Or should I get more people involved?
In the past as long as your vehicle had a multi-day pass, you could camp with very few restrictions. The rules have changed and now you need, in addition to the vehicle pass, a reserved campsite if you are staying overnight. The campsites are cheap and I think they allow up to two vehicles per site. We had three tents, two canopies, and the Cruiser in one spot. We planned a trip in June and we were going to reserve two campsites to spread things out. The June trip got cancelled but we will be going back in September or October for fishing.

Freeman Park NC - Camping Guide

Safe as in your personal safety?? Yeah you all will be fine not much that can go wrong out there.

As a Wilmington native I would recommend you skip Freeman Park, and go out on the beach at Ft Fisher. (South End of Carolina Beach) There is no camping allowed out there, but that sand sucks a** to sleep in! (Spent enough time with sand up my a** in Iraq x3) Anyways, locals prefer south end, Freeman Park isn't jack, just a place to take tourists money. Different pass is required though, plus you get a key card, just pull up to fate, swipe your card, and gate opens, no Rangers babysitting you.

July 31st at Freeman Park.

13745202_278840219160802_966843942_n.jpg

13628212_273691349668010_1737910025_n.jpg

As a Wilmington native I would recommend you skip Freeman Park, and go out on the beach at Ft Fisher. (South End of Carolina Beach) There is no camping allowed out there, but that sand sucks a** to sleep in! (Spent enough time with sand up my a** in Iraq x3) Anyways, locals prefer south end, Freeman Park isn't jack, just a place to take tourists money. Different pass is required though, plus you get a key card, just pull up to fate, swipe your card, and gate opens, no Rangers babysitting you.
@Marine7 , I've always heard differently. While Fr. Fisher has 4 miles of coastline, it is patroled by park rangers, not alcoholic beverages are allowed, no long term parking unless you are actively fishing, overnight stays are possible but only if you are actively fishing. Freeman park on the other hand has no rules. I paid $20 for a second-hand day pass. We setup the canopy, chairs, and a cooler with beer. We have to keep our dogs on leash but other dogs were off leash. Correct me if I'm wrong on what I've read and heard about Ft. Fisher.

The sugar sand at the entrance to Freeman Park was pretty bad today. 5 stuck vehicles when we drove on and a tiny awd Kia/Hyundai with the front wheels buried as we were leaving.

We usually get to Ft Fisher around 10-11am, and we stay until about 8:30-9pm. During that time I usually see Rangers drive by once, maybe twice if it's a weekend or holiday. My dog runs free, I carry my 40 quart cooler.... With beverages, and we grill dinner, and sometimes lunch out there. I don't care to sleep in the sand, and you are correct that over night stays are not usually allowed.
We like it because you can drive almost all the way down to Bald Head Island, plus you can cross thru the dunes in your vehicles to get on the shoreline of the ICW.
Now, the last time we went to the South End there seemed to be Rangers out there constantly. Maybe that changed when they went to the reservation only camping. Before, it was a free for all out there! People too drunk to drive just passing out on the beach, lots of fights, and a whole bunch of nose candy!Glad to hear they have cleaned it up.
Where ever you go....have fun and enjoy it! A lot of people in other states would love to be able to do what you and I are able to do!

I appreciate all advises.... I am pretty new here in North Carolina, so sooner or latter will go both places and share my experience !!!

I appreciate all advises.... I am pretty new here in North Carolina, so sooner or latter will go both places and share my experience !!!
It sounds like we need to organize a group outing to Ft. Fisher.

I just got back from Freeman, was at the "jeep go topless day". Was expecting lots of maidens in bikinis and jeeps, but it was mostly hairy topless fat guys on jeeps. Anyway, was doing a recovery class for sand, and some sand driving bits. That was cool, got one jeep stuck and unstuck on 2wd with sand ladder, and another unstuck with a Pull Pal.

Funny thing is, while driving out, saw so many people stuck and so many bad ideas like chains on tow ball pulling out, I just drove out a little quicker. I am sure adult beverages where involved.

The intracoastal waterway has a unique aroma, like the Love Canal. The water color and consistency reminds me of runoff from a garbage dump. I will pass on that.

Carolina Beach campground was nice and clean. Good showers too
IMG_1200.JPG
IMG_1207.JPG

Land cruiser with Cuban chrome awning deployed, looking good. Water smelled nasty
IMG_1210.JPG

There were some nice looking jeeps like this simple CJ. Lots of crazier ones
IMG_1212.JPG

Getting stuck was easy on 2wd, then HiLift the rear and insert maxtrax, I was glad it worked perfectly.
IMG_1218.JPG

Sounds exactly like a typical day at Carolina Beach...

The ICWW connects with the Cape Fear river at CB sate park. Snows Cut. That's hog s*** your smelling.... Thats why the ocean is brown down in CB. Wrightsville and Topsail - no brown ocean

I just got back from Freeman, was at the "jeep go topless day". Was expecting lots of maidens in bikinis and jeeps, but it was mostly hairy topless fat guys on jeeps. Anyway, was doing a recovery class for sand, and some sand driving bits. That was cool, got one jeep stuck and unstuck on 2wd with sand ladder, and another unstuck with a Pull Pal.

Funny thing is, while driving out, saw so many people stuck and so many bad ideas like chains on tow ball pulling out, I just drove out a little quicker. I am sure adult beverages where involved.

The intracoastal waterway has a unique aroma, like the Love Canal. The water color and consistency reminds me of runoff from a garbage dump. I will pass on that.

Carolina Beach campground was nice and clean. Good showers too
View attachment 1463452 View attachment 1463453

Land cruiser with Cuban chrome awning deployed, looking good. Water smelled nasty
View attachment 1463454

There were some nice looking jeeps like this simple CJ. Lots of crazier ones
View attachment 1463455

Getting stuck was easy on 2wd, then HiLift the rear and insert maxtrax, I was glad it worked perfectly.
View attachment 1463456

Instead of using Hi-Lift, why not eliminate the possible injury, and dig out in front of rear tires with hand or MaxxTrax, and slide ramps in? Then just slowly Drive onto ramps, and away you go! Of course in 2WD, in my heep,I NEVER have needed 4wd at Freeman Park..... including entrance..... air down properly.......5-6lbs.

Then again.... growing up down the road from Silver Lake State Park in Mi taught us all about sand! 300 yard sand climbs at close to 45 degrees..... tires at 5lbs, in 4lo, and idle right up the dunes. Most people hit them at about 45mph, and wondered how in the he&@ we could idle up them...... air pressure is king in the sand!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom