First Time Mudder Looking For Help. 1986 FJ60 oil leak (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Maybe I missed this, but how much is it leaking?

That's a pretty good leak. Was hoping it was much less where I would have advised to live with it.

I tightened the bolts on the oil pan, and they were way loose but it didnt help., I'm more of a do it right the first time. so i bet it'll do the clutch as well. Can i replace the gasket on the trans behind the front cone rather than using the permatex?

I the engine look good to me! I spend some time cleaning it up.

View attachment 2772492
View attachment 2772494
View attachment 2772495
Looks pretty good in there.
You can defiantly get the paper gasket for that cone. If I remember correctly, I ordered the wrong gasket. There’s an oil port on the later model 4 speed that is different from the older model. I don’t remember when they made the change but the gasket I had would have blocked oil flow to the input bearing, so be advised.

A quart in 150 miles is excessive for sure. One way to isolate oil leaks is to clean the underside and covered areas the best you can. Source ultraviolet leak dye that is used in engine oil. Once added to the oil you can use a UV flashlight to see the leak point.

GM used to have this available at their parts department, I'm sure they still do.
I use my wifes UV flashlight that she used to see where the dogs pissed on the carpet, it was an amazon order for $5.
This is the method I used to use as a technician to be sure. It would identify if your front trans seal is wet from engine oil or has a leak itself.

A quart in 150 miles is excessive for sure. One way to isolate oil leaks is to clean the underside and covered areas the best you can. Source ultraviolet leak dye that is used in engine oil. Once added to the oil you can use a UV flashlight to see the leak point.

GM used to have this available at their parts department, I'm sure they still do.
I use my wifes UV flashlight that she used to see where the dogs pissed on the carpet, it was an amazon order for $5.
This is the method I used to use as a technician to be sure. It would identify if your front trans seal is wet from engine oil or has a leak itself.
Great, is it worth just assuming it does when i pull out the trans and fix that as well? since i'll have it out anyways to replace the rear main.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom