First Time Mudder Looking For Help. 1986 FJ60 oil leak (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone! I'd been looking for over 9 months trying to find a FJ60 for a decent price and ended up finding one 3 miles from me in Jackson WY. I bought "Smoky" 2 months ago for $4K. I changed out all the fluids and she runs great. Shifts great, Idles great, Almost perfect interior. Its a 1986 with 215,000 Miles.

fullsizeoutput_28f.jpeg

The problem is its leaking oil really badly, I drove it for 500 miles until it really started. It had been sitting for a few years, maybe driven twice a month. The research ive been doing is its either the rear main, or the gear box seal. Not sure what it is but i could use some help.

qqiZuXC%Tgeq2nioiV2Xbg_thumb_51e.jpg

fnfF9J2ZSS+8G7UXTk0LJA_thumb_51c.jpg

bIc99MraQ8eIwQiRXa5dBg_thumb_519.jpg

GN2fKmIpQZC7gls120NPVQ_thumb_51a.jpg

Try one of those "High Mileage" formulated motor oils. They have additives that can swell the seals to stop or minimize leaks.

I tried Mobil 1 10w40 High Miileage synthetic motor oil and it definitely minimized my leaks. Didn't stop everything, but my driveway looked a lot better when I used it.
Eventually I replaced all the seals & gaskets in the motor and my oil leaks stopped - but that oil really helped me out when my cruiser was Mr. Drippy.

Try one of those "High Mileage" formulated motor oils. They have additives that can swell the seals to stop or minimize leaks.

I tried Mobil 1 10w40 High Miileage synthetic motor oil and it definitely minimized my leaks. Didn't stop everything, but my driveway looked a lot better when I used it.
Eventually I replaced all the seals & gaskets in the motor and my oil leaks stopped - but that oil really helped me out when my cruiser was Mr. Drippy.
Awesome, I think I'm wanted to replace all the seals and gaskets. Looking for suggestions on what i should do, replaced the clutch? buy a 2F engine overhaul gasket kit and replace them all? Nit sure where i'm leaking so not sure what i should get. Thanks for the reply OSS.

Awesome, I think I'm wanted to replace all the seals and gaskets. Looking for suggestions on what i should do, replaced the clutch? buy a 2F engine overhaul gasket kit and replace them all? Nit sure where i'm leaking so not sure what i should get. Thanks for the reply OSS.
It’s just marking its territory...

All jokes aside, that’s probably a culmination of several leaky gaskets. Getting an engine gasket kit isn’t a bad idea. I would suggest using OEM Toyota gaskets over aftermarket gaskets. The aftermarket ones can be hit or miss and if you’re gonna tear into everything you would be sad to have it leaking a week later. Ask me how I know...

You can pop that clutch cover off and see if the flywheel and clutch are covered in oil. If they are I would plan on a clutch change too. In fact, you’ll have to pull the clutch and flywheel to change the rear main seal so you might as well get a clutch kit and have it all freshened up for peace of mind. 4K sounds like a pretty good deal. That’s what I paid for mine 6 years ago before they started getting insanely expensive. At that buy in price, changing gaskets and doing some maintenance isn’t so bad if you’re handy enough to do it.

Again, Toyota parts whenever possible!

Pretty much guaranteed that every gasket and oil seal is leaking at this point, so just plan on eventually replacing them all if you don't want any drips.
You don't have to do it all at once, just pick one component you want to tackle and do that first. Then when that's all buttoned up, pick the next victim.
I'd start with the "easy" ones first, like the valve cover seal and lifter side cover gasket.
The trickier ones are the oil pan (just plan on buying a new oil pan), the rear main seal on the crankshaft and the front timing gear cover gasket.
Toyota gasket kits no longer exist but you can buy the gaskets and seals individually from Toyota if you've got the part numbers.

Use the website below to find the part numbers for everything on your cruiser:

Pretty much guaranteed that every gasket and oil seal is leaking at this point, so just plan on eventually replacing them all if you don't want any drips.
You don't have to do it all at once, just pick one component you want to tackle and do that first. Then when that's all buttoned up, pick the next victim.
I'd start with the "easy" ones first, like the valve cover seal and lifter side cover gasket.
The trickier ones are the oil pan (just plan on buying a new oil pan), the rear main seal on the crankshaft and the front timing gear cover gasket.
Toyota gasket kits no longer exist but you can buy the gaskets and seals individually from Toyota if you've got the part numbers.

They’re pretty good about updating their availability. This is the only OEM kit I’ve seen recently. I think I ought to buy one just to have...

All jokes aside, that’s probably a culmination of several leaky gaskets. Getting an engine gasket kit isn’t a bad idea. I would suggest using OEM Toyota gaskets over aftermarket gaskets. The aftermarket ones can be hit or miss and if you’re gonna tear into everything you would be sad to have it leaking a week later. Ask me how I know...

You can pop that clutch cover off and see if the flywheel and clutch are covered in oil. If they are I would plan on a clutch change too. In fact, you’ll have to pull the clutch and flywheel to change the rear main seal so you might as well get a clutch kit and have it all freshened up for peace of mind. 4K sounds like a pretty good deal. That’s what I paid for mine 6 years ago before they started getting insanely expensive. At that buy in price, changing gaskets and doing some maintenance isn’t so bad if you’re handy enough to do it.

Hey thanks, i'll always try and buy Toyota parts unless the discontinue making that part. So good to hear i'm on the right path. Yeah i thought 4K was a great deal after looking for 9 months. And found it right down the street. Any manuals you'd recommend me buying to guide me doing all of these? Thanks again

Huge! thanks that sounds like a good idea. I'm trying to make a list of all the seals/gaskets i need to do and if i can do it all in one go.

Hey thanks, i'll always try and buy Toyota parts unless the discontinue making that part. So good to hear i'm on the right path. Yeah i thought 4K was a great deal after looking for 9 months. And found it right down the street. Any manuals you'd recommend me buying to guide me doing all of these? Thanks again

Can’t beat the price 😉

Can’t beat the price 😉
WOW. thanks for the manual link... that helps so much. I've been trying to find youtube videos and cant find one to really help.

Those won't be Toyota gaskets or seals in that kit
Are you sure? They sell an aftermarket kit right next to that one.

WOW. thanks for the manual link... that helps so much. I've been trying to find youtube videos and cant find one to really help.

The FAQ is your friend
The search function on this site is lack luster. Use “google” and add Ih8mud to the end of your search query. You’ll get better results a lot of the time.

Are you sure? They sell an aftermarket kit right next to that one.
I deleted my post - I'm not sure what's in those kits. Maybe they're Toyota parts.
What I don't like about kits is you might get old stock parts. The oil pan gasket for example has changed from the original- and who knows if you'll get the new gasket or the old one.

I deleted my post - I'm not sure what's in those kits. Maybe they're Toyota parts.
What I don't like about kits is you might get old stock parts. The oil pan gasket for example has changed from the original- and who knows if you'll get the new gasket or the old one.
Well maybe I’m wrong too... I can’t find the aftermarket kit now that I’m looking again... lol

Pulled off the Clutch Cover. Look like its the oil pan/ rear main leaking. but i'm not sure if its the 4 wheel drive is leaking as well? but the clutch and flywheel didn't have much if any oil on them but leaking both sides of where they are. Let me know your thoughts thanks

ZpVSVgV+Qaa5tSrMq0nHtA_thumb_51f.jpg

EtyZ3QMqSNmlQwhAO52BuQ_thumb_520.jpg

U+dJc3%IS%OZxvqHcKZJcw_thumb_521.jpg

The oil pan gasket is weeping a bit but no biggie, and that sludgefest inside the clutch cover is gear oil weeping out past the transmission input shaft seal. It won't get on the clutch and is mostly just ugly but it's not harming anything.

Pulled off the Clutch Cover. Look like its the oil pan/ rear main leaking. but i'm not sure if its the 4 wheel drive is leaking as well? but the clutch and flywheel didn't have much if any oil on them but leaking both sides of where they are. Let me know your thoughts thanks

View attachment 2772341

View attachment 2772342

View attachment 2772343
Thats about what mine looked like when I tore everything down. If the clutch plate has enough meat on it you might be okay skipping it, unless you’d just rather the peace of mind. I think the kit and all the bearings associated with it are around $200-300... not bad. When you have the transmission out you can remove the front cone where it’s leaking, use permatex gear oil sealant (in the green package) and put a bead around it. Install it finger tight and wait an hour and then tighten it down a few foot pounds lighter than the manual recommends. I did that in a pinch because I didn’t have the gasket at the time and it held up just fine for years until I dropped a 5 speed into it.

You could try snugging up the bolts for the oil pan. Those gaskets swell and shrink over time. Especially if it’s been sitting. That’ll cause the bolts to loosen and then when you drove it 500 miles it started leaking.

I don’t see anything catastrophic in those pictures.
How does the front end of the engine look? Mine was really really bad. I mean like 10 years of leaking coolant and oil mixed with road grime. I couldn’t even see the bottom seam of the timing gear cover.

Thats about what mine looked like when I tore everything down. If the clutch plate has enough meat on it you might be okay skipping it, unless you’d just rather the peace of mind. I think the kit and all the bearings associated with it are around $200-300... not bad. When you have the transmission out you can remove the front cone where it’s leaking, use permatex gear oil sealant (in the green package) and put a bead around it. Install it finger tight and wait an hour and then tighten it down a few foot pounds lighter than the manual recommends. I did that in a pinch because I didn’t have the gasket at the time and it held up just fine for years until I dropped a 5 speed into it.

You could try snugging up the bolts for the oil pan. Those gaskets swell and shrink over time. Especially if it’s been sitting. That’ll cause the bolts to loosen and then when you drove it 500 miles it started leaking.

I don’t see anything catastrophic in those pictures.
How does the front end of the engine look? Mine was really really bad. I mean like 10 years of leaking coolant and oil mixed with road grime. I couldn’t even see the bottom seam of the timing gear cover.
I tightened the bolts on the oil pan, and they were way loose but it didnt help., I'm more of a do it right the first time. so i bet it'll do the clutch as well. Can i replace the gasket on the trans behind the front cone rather than using the permatex?

I the engine look good to me! I spend some time cleaning it up.

XgqeLqcMTzSaLpaBsiEw1A_thumb_522.jpg

UsjUmIoRS22tSd+UEpELlw_thumb_523.jpg

rBAEEQJvRjyKBdTSl7F03Q_thumb_524.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom