First post.. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all--new 100 owner, absolutely love the truck, and just want to say thanks for all the great info I've learned on this site prior to finding my LC. Spent about 6 months searching for that perfect, low mileage 100-series and finally tracked down a beaut: 2003, 38k, CA truck babied by the original owner (not their primary vehicle) with all service records. He "upgraded" to 18" chrome wheels, but other than that I couldn't be happier.

For now the 100 will remain stock. The addition of twins to our family makes it hard to justify mods in the short term, but I plan on keeping this truck for a long time and have big plans for it. A week-long exploration of Big Bend NP and SP in my buddy's Nissan Pathfinder (OR edition, and a pretty capable truck) hooked me on off-road/expedition travel, and being located in the high desert of SoCal provides plenty of opportunity to get out and explore. I've started saving my allowance ;)...

Here's a few pics to show off the pride and joy:
DSC_0305.jpg
DSC_0309.jpg
DSC_0314.jpg

Good find! I remember how happy I was driving mine home the day I bought it. It wasn't long before this forum got the best of me and I was taking off running boards, raising the front end, and so on, and so on. Enjoy!

Last edited:
Thanks, stoked to be part of the club. I've lurked on the forum a bit--reading build threads and hearing how capable this truck is definitely sold me on the 100-series. Tires and sliders are at the top of the list for early mods, think I can sell a pair of Slee SliderSteps as a replacement for the running boards. Will keep it fairly stock for a while though, maybe some airbags to help with towing our pop-up camper. Will do as much exploring as I can and build the list based on experience and need.

awesome find, grats on the purchase.

Very clean looking 100, congrats!

Thanks everybody. She is super clean, couldn't believe the condition when I first found it. Though keeping her this pristine is tempting, we've already driven the local NF roads and discussed improvements. I'm thinking a Death Valley and Mojave Road trip are going to require a little modification, right? ;)

I'd like to find a pair of 16" wheels to replace my shiny 18's, but not ready to replace the tires too (current Michelins have a lot of life left). Is it possible to de-chrome and powdercoat my current wheels, or should I just keep a lookout for a set of 16's?

Thanks for the welcome guys!

A second set of wheels is not a bad thing.I Never like running whinning tires in town. Mike

Good call. Could keep a set that is more street friendly, assign the 16's to OR travel. She is my DD though, so was thinking of keeping any future tire purchase to either BFG AT or Nitto TG. Thanks for the input.

Welcome to the club, Hoops! :cheers:

Great looking rig with exceptionally low mileage. Mind telling us how much the previous owner let it go for?

Sliders and bigger tires would make great first mods. I really suggest keeping the 18's if the current tires are good, and finding a set of 16's to put bigger tires on for your overland stuff. Personally I'd ditch the chrome, though.

As for tires, both the BFG and the Nittos get lots of use around here. FWIW, I prefer the Nittos - better tread pattern IMO. Not quite as hard wearing as the BFG's, but I ran a set of TG's on my Yukon and with nominal inflation/3000 mile rotations, after 20K miles they still looked nearly new.

Thanks Fuzz! $26k, which I thought was pretty good for the LA market. Had been looking for a low mileage 100-series for a while, just lucked out on finding this one. She really is super clean, and the previous owner was meticulous with service (maintenance log book filled out in detail). Actually got to speak to the tech who worked on the truck since day one (not that there was much to do). He confirmed that the original owner babied his cars, and that this one didn't receive much use since 2003.

I agree about the chrome, my least favorite part of the truck. I'll keep looking for a set of 16's on the forum and local craigslist, with patience shouldn't be too hard to find.

Thanks for the welcome, and happy 4th!

Congrats! Nice rig. Welcome to Mud.

For now the 100 will remain stock. The addition of twins to our family makes it hard to justify mods in the short term.....

That's What I said.....didn't last very long. :D

That's What I said.....didn't last very long. :D

I think you're right. Had a conversation with the wife just last night about necessary modifications to the truck. A few eyebrows were raised, but she didn't run screaming from the room. A good sign...:cheers:

Hoops100 said:
I think you're right. Had a conversation with the wife just last night about necessary modifications to the truck. A few eyebrows were raised, but she didn't run screaming from the room. A good sign...:cheers:

Seriously though. The hundy is a great platform for twins. We have our car seat bases mounted in the center and passenger position and it leaves plenty of room for a third large adult on the DS. Still able to fold the seat forward too if needed. Our girls love wheeling too. Just ask anyone who was at CM this year. Best of luck.

Seriously though. The hundy is a great platform for twins. We have our car seat bases mounted in the center and passenger position and it leaves plenty of room for a third large adult on the DS. Still able to fold the seat forward too if needed. Our girls love wheeling too. Just ask anyone who was at CM this year. Best of luck.

We also have a 6 year old, one of the reasons I moved up from a 4Runner to a 100-series. Still plenty of room for all three across the middle row, and can hold all our gear in the rear (and a box on the roof if needed). Have taken the 6 year old out exploring through the Angeles NF, she digs it as well. Great thing about this truck--can be a nice family rig, but also one of the most capable off-road vehicles around. Looking forward to the journey...

Welcome to the club. I too love my hundy!

Had a conversation with the wife just last night about necessary modifications to the truck. A few eyebrows were raised, but she didn't run screaming from the room. A good sign...:cheers:
Wait until she starts asking you about mods! It took a few years, but my wife was asking me about pricing on new Slee bumpers last week.

Shortly after I got my latest version of a hundy, I came home with this...

DSC00373.jpg

And after a "what did you do!" comment, ended up with this

DSC00349.jpg

Still married!

(now that I look at the pics, I must have made two UPS runs since the sliders were already on in the first pic??? 4 yrs passes quickly, and so does my memory!)

beautiful truck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom