First Impressions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I thought I'd tease myself today and took out a fully loaded FJC for a test drive today.

The look has grown on me after the first webshots I had seen oh those many years ago, and eventually I could see myself owning one. But not for a few years yet, there are still some shortcomings Toyota needs to deal with.

Anyways, its a really nice drive. Nice power, handles well, smooth ride, very comfortable seats.
As stated in a few previous posts the massive c pillar really limits visibilty when shoulder checking, but the mirrors are quite large and effective. The tail lights have got to be the dumbest thing on a four wheel drive Ive ever seen, they are just asking to be smashed.
The rear seats fold down, but not flat enough to sleep on, and while my 5' tall wife could sleep in it, the 6' of me could not.
The engine compartment is quite tidy, and the nicest touch is the oil filter. Right up front, inverted, and with a spill tray...very easy to change.

It was a really quick test drive, as the dealership was closing soon so I had just barely enough time to park it beside my fj40 at home and snap off a few shots.
I'll post them up soon as fiddle with my file limits and make some more room.

Last edited:
1 more pic

And my very pregnant better half...all smiles after sitting in it?

And the oily chunk of cardboard sitting underneath my 45 is for our house guests leaky cherokee parked out front!

Last edited:
I took one a test ride and it was nice . When i got to the dealer it was out and by the time the sales guys who had it got back it was dark . from what i could tell the 1st thing that I was not impressed with was the inside lighting, it blows . (as did the dealer lighting in the lot)I would like to see one in the day time and get to play with all the toys without a over eager salesman showing me all the stuff .
I also noticed that it looks like the rear door was formed for what looked like it was going to be hinged like a hatchback.
Im going to take one with a stick out when they get one in but I think the wife needs a Sicon TC more ;)

I got to drive one yesterday. It was a 2wd automatic that was pretty well loaded.

The vehicle looked ok on the outside, some of the plastic items seem to be asking to get knocked off. The driver seat is a little difficult to adjust. The gauges were easy to see and the various adjustments were for the most part easy to locate and operate. The adjustment for the side mirrors was not lit and hidden behind the steering wheel. I was able to adjust it, after locating control with a small light. As mentioned in earlier post, the lighting inside the vehicle is less than optimal at night. The stereo seemed to be a real plus for the vehicle.

The rear seating is quite cramped and would not be very comfortable for any length of time. The opening for the rear door from the outside was not easy initially due to the poor interior lighting. Once you know where the handle is located, it is large enough not to be a problem.

Driving the vehicle, I thought it handled well and was pretty peppy. The braking seemed to be excellent. The ride was smooth and pretty quite. I found the rear view to be very cramped. My driving was at night and I was not happy with the mirror views/direct rear view.

The one at this dealership and my local dealership are all going to be in the $30K plus range. They are basically having all the more expensive packages but no 4 wheel drive.

I have real mixed feelings about the vehicle.

Being that this is my first post I'd like to say hello and that I think this is an
excellent forum. I currently have a 2000 tacoma 4x4 trd with lots of trail
gear. I have been considering the new FJ as my daily driver and semi-retire
the Taco. I have mixed feelings about this new rig. It did ride well, good
acceleration and comfortable seats. However, I get a bit of clausterphobia
in this thing. Visibility is not that great and where I planned to take this
thing on weekends, I want good visibility(mtns/coast/camping.) It definately
needs an ARB bumper on the front to toughen up its looks. Maybe a large
moon roof could alleviate some of this closed in feeling I am having. I'm
on the fence right now.My neighbor's mint late 80"s 60 series is starting to
look pretty good. My 2 cents...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back