Finally the emergency device we've been wating for (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.jjadventuretours.com
Interesting, my Mom has asked me about Spot and was thinking of getting me one for my birthday, I couldn't talk her into paying the annual fee though :)

The only downside to this new android 'app', would be of course your cell phone dying.

about time, I know they had the technology for it but I guess it wasn't affordable enough yet for the common folk.
I bet a beer Drew will have one first.....I'll be following soon after :D
unless Drew already has one, in that case who's feeding me beer?

Now, if only you could RECEIVE text msgs/confirmations through it...guess we will have to wait another few years for that...

I looked at it for a bit, but my Ham radio can send messages from everywhere and I have all so been looking at Satphone options with data packages :D, for a project I'm currently working on and have found some vary cost effective options as long as you only use it for emergency's.

I looked at it for a bit, but my Ham radio can send messages from everywhere and I have all so been looking at Satphone options with data packages :D, for a project I'm currently working on and have found some vary cost effective options as long as you only use it for emergency's.

Please share those costs and options! I've been thinking of an emergency-only-satphone but it didn't seem very cost effective.

I have the basic spot which I'm happy with. On our last hunting trip we rented a sat phone. I can't remember the name, you order over the internet, they drop it off at your house and then you ship it back in the provided package when you are done. The rental was a flat fee and use is pay by the minute, I think it was $2 a minute. It was cost effective split 3 ways. It was great to touch base with the wife and make sure everything was cool. It is good peace of mind.

2 bucks a minute to talk anywhere in the world is pretty good. I can remember paying 75cents a minute around 1992 for analog mobile phone coverage through B.C. Tel. I could talk to my Mom from the old Bulldozer up at the Hot Springs and the rock slide.

IsatPhone Pro ~$600 + $150/yr

IsatPhone Pro Emergency Plan
IsatPhone Pro Service provides geo-stationary coverage around the globe. Lower equipment and airtime costs than Iridium. Equipment pricing based on airtime plan. Emergency Plan $150/yr, 60 minutes included annually, overage billed at $1.39/min.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom